engine differences

nige

My old MKIII engine was getting a bit tired, usual stuff needs a rebore, crank needs a grind..etc, anyhow on a buyer collect ebay visit to pick up some body panels the bloke says "i've got an engine for one of them, only just reconditioned it too... you can have it for £50" So money was exchanged, thought its worth taking the sump and head off to have a nose when i got home.. and...yes.. it was a bit of a pup realy, anyhow the bores were good and the crank was okish.. i could get away with honing the bore, new shells and rings and chain kit. So i did all that, went to the effort of complete engine bath as well it realy looks the part. So on rebuild notice that one of the pistons is shagged, also notice the oil pump is a bit crappy, so quick trip rimmers new oil pump, turns out the old pump is the angled one a 1500cc.,, pump.. strange.. never mind i'll get a 1500 type pump. Decides to use one of my old pistons out of my orignal engine to replace the shagged one... hang on the piston sticks out the top of the block. Turns out the engine I have been reconditioning is a 1500cc not a 1300cc, apparantly the 1500cc piston is the same bore size but smaller in length.. agggh. So now i am faced with a dilema,

<li>
    </li> </ul>I am thinking of buying a set of 1500pistons and sticking this in my MkIII - can anyone see a problem with this? - if it matters I have an OD gearbox

<li>
      </li> </ul>Will the carb need rejetting?

<li>
        </li> </ul>My 1300cc head i went to the effort a while back getting it skimmed and unleaded conversion, will this head to be ok to use on my 1300 block?

hope this all makes sense to someone... realy looking forward to the replies on this,
        many thanks
        Nige

The 1500 has more torque than the 1300, the 1300 revs better and the MkIII Spitfire is the nicest to have.

Personally I would rebuild the MkIII engine and sell on the 1500.

Ps the carburettors are wrong as well MkIII has HS2 1500 has HS4.

1300 head no good on 1500 engine, sends compression way too high. Unless you buy some of the cheap american spec low ompression pistons from canleys....
        Thats a thought, just may work but get advice from somebody who knows.
        As RB mentions above, carbs would be a bit small.
        Personally prefer the way 1500 drives over 1300, more torquey. But many prefer the free revving nature of the small bearing 1300. Now a zetec has both.

Clive

Is your MkIII engine actually a MkIII engine ie FD engine number? If not then I would use the 1500 as it will have more power & torque (fit a MkIII cam if you have a few quid spare)
        If it is an FD then decide whether you want a free revving 1300 or a torquey 1500.

ok.. thanks guys some more questions...

can i jet my hs2 carb so it will work on my 1500

are the low compression pistons for people like me who have the wrong heads.. ie is this a bodge making an accident waiting to happen

cheers

p.s any bits left over at the end of this you can have.. will let you know

no, the low compression pistons were for the american market where they needed really low CR for emissions or something back in the 70's. Dave Pearson (canleys)should be able to advise? but be patient, he is a busy man.
        HS2'swill work with a 1500, I think there was a saloon 1500 that had just that. Will restrict top end power a bit, search on the burlen site (BFS) for inspiration.
        Clive

Or drill out the 1300 flywheel to accept the larger bolts so it will fit the 1500 crank. I think 1300 dolly engines had the larger holed flywheel as std.
        Easy with the b+d and the correct size drill bit. Lighter clutch too, should easily be strong enough.
        Clive

thanks guys... for all your help, am off to check out flywheels now...hadnt even considered that, i have options, the options are around a 1500 engine,, as i now seem to be building a pile of spares for them.

Archived