Engine overhaul

Chris_68

Hi,

Even if my engine seems better than expected after 80000 miles, I still plan to do some refurbish this winter. I do not know what has been done before so kind of hard to know what to begin with.
I tried to search in forum for a thread were someone else had this done before, I am not able to find one, is it just me who cannot search propperly or is it ok if I start a thread to get advice which will help both me and others?

I will measure compression before I start but what other symptoms can help me what I need to do? I have overpressure in crankhouse ventilation but what is "normal"?

Cheers
Chris

do you mean you are getting pressure in the crankcase all the time? if so it is probably piston/bores worn, but none of this is easy to diagnose until the engine is apart.
And you cannot order any parts until you know if the engine has previously had any new parts.
So, wait until you have some time, engine out and head/sump off. Inspect for wear/scoring. You may well find a hone to the cylinders and new set of rings, and new crank bearings may well refresh the engine for another 50,000 miles or more. If there is damage then you may need to get some machining done. Depends on what you want to use the engine for and how big the budget is!
Clive

Hi

Thank you both for feedback, great link I will read through it and decide when and how much to do with my engine.
I have haynes and the workshop manual as n information source, but with forum feedback "within  minute" and the help from digital cameras to help with explanation there could be a better chance of success by using advice from this forum.

I have to do a list what to order when I know more, for me there is a lot to save by ordering from the UK. Suggestions where to order engine parts are greatly welcomed, I know quite  few companies but some are perhaps better than others. Advice is perhaps better sent by PM so no one gets offended...

Cheers
Chris

Archived