What engine have i got in my spitfire

justinmud

On my log book V5C it says 1147cc but my engine number is FH51****HE which i think is a 1300 and it has 1 1/4 carbs any help with this would be great and the year of manufacture of the engine :) as will help me with all the engine set up thanks in advance justin

thanks mark Had a good look around and find it all a bit confusing my chassis number is FH and only 4 numbers and all the ones in the register are FH and 5 numbers and my engine is a 1296cc made around 1973 not 1147 like it says on the log book i think? if the car was registered overseas first and then first registered in the uk in 1970 then its not a MklV surely  i dont have a clue lol :)

Hi Justinmud

If the car was truly first registered abroad and imported around 1970, that would make it a mark 3 or earlier.  Certainly not a mark 4.

So, what shape is the boot?  Nicely curved (marks 1 to 3) or squared-off with a flat lighting and numberplate panel (mark IV and 1500)?

Also, check which number you are reporting as the chassis number.  There is a body number, a commission number, and sometimes a chassis number as well. The number used on the V5 is the commission number which is stamped onto the commission plate visible on the left hand side of the body tub when the bonnet is opened.  On my 1500, there is a body number rivetted on just below the commision plate.

Hope this helps

bodders1

Archived