spitfire Mk3 Engine Valences

Jazzman

Gents,

I am thinking about building my own engine valences for my spitfire mk3 (1970). Do any of you have a CAD file with the shape and measures?

I have found something in teglerizer.com, but it seems it is for the Spit1500 (I presume it would not fit)

Thank you so much in advance!

They're very likely to be the same or very similar. If I were you I'd make the teglerizer ones out of cardboard to see if they fit. Then if they don't you can mod the template very easily.

By the way, I'm thinking of making some myself but I'm not sure how these are meant to attach at the front. Could someone explain or maybe take a photo? Cheers!

Will the attached is not very clear (sorry) but the engine valances attach to the radiator frame using the same 2 top bolts that mount the radiator to the radiator frame. These are the cardboard jobbies. I do not have one on the carb side now as I have the airbox that half fulfills the same function.

The valances are attached to the bulkhead using 2 90 degree brackets and to the radiator frame using 1 90 degree bracket.

I hope that and the picture sort of helps!

Neil

According to the canleys catalogue the left hand one is the same for all but for the right there are two different ones - one for spitfire mk1's and 2's and a different part for 3's and 4's. They don't seem to have an entry for 1500's so I'm not sure it that means the ebay ones advertised as 1500 and Mk4 will fit the Mk3 aswell, or not?

Neil - thanks for the photo! I've never had the valances on my car since I owned it. I guessed they attached to the little brackets on the bulkhead but I wasn't so sure about the front! This looks like another thing to add to my winter projects list!  :)

The standard ones are made from conti board (the same stuff they use for the glovebokes and fuel tank cover in the boot), but I've seen nice aluminium ones for sale. Any other ideas on what material to use? How about hardboard? Sprayed up in black they'd look OK I reckon...

RumPith wrote:
The standard ones are made from conti board (the same stuff they use for the glovebokes and fuel tank cover in the boot), ...

Not from the decent manufacturers they are not. The stuff the gloveboxes, and fuel tank boards is made of would quickly fall to pieces if subjected to the rigours of the engine bay (wet/heat etc). Engine valances made of decent material should last for the lifetime of the car and in our experience only ever need replacement due to physical damage inflicted by ham fisted mechanics. The board used by the likes of Newton Commercial is called tar board and hasn't been manufactured for many years. Newton have until recently been sourcing this board from the Ministry of Defence who used it as an insultion in bunkers! This source has recently dried up and Newton thus far have been unable to find an alternative.

Archived