MORE POWER: 1500TC saloon engine in a Spit

TR7th Heaven

I recently fitted a good, low milage 1500 engine and gearbox to my 1971 MKIV Spitfire. The engine & box came out of a 1500TC saloon and went straight in with only the sump needing to be swapped over. However, the 1500TC engine is quoted as having 64bhp, whereas the 1500 Spitfire engine had 71bhp. Does anyone know where this extra 7bhp came from? If it's simple enough I'd be interested in making up the difference although to be honest I can't tell the difference between mine and my previous 1500 Spit.
Thanks,
Richard
;)

TR7th_Heaven wrote:
I recently fitted a good, low milage 1500 engine and gearbox to my 1971 MKIV Spitfire. The engine & box came out of a 1500TC saloon and went straight in with only the sump needing to be swapped over. However, the 1500TC engine is quoted as having 64bhp, whereas the 1500 Spitfire engine had 71bhp. Does anyone know where this extra 7bhp came from? If it's simple enough I'd be interested in making up the difference although to be honest I can't tell the difference between mine and my previous 1500 Spit.
Thanks,
Richard
;)

I always thought they were the same?  Are you sure the 64 bhp figure isn't for the single carb version?

Nick

Quote:
I always thought they were the same?  Are you sure the 64 bhp figure isn't for the single carb version?

Nick

Yes, from this site and a couple of others 64bhp seems to be quoted for the Triumph 1500TC.
If it's the crank that's different then it's difficult. But if it's the carb set-up (jets/needles etc) then it might be easier to squeeze a few more bhp.
Thanks for your comments
Richard  ;)

It's something to with bringing the measuring HP, in line with european DIN measurement of HP.

Somewhere in the early 70's this came in.

As the early 1300 MK1V Spitfire engine was shown as have more BHP that later althow the same engine.

This may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Was it a dolly 1500 or the earlier engine from a 1500tc (sorry, I do realise it says 1500tc but it has to be asked!) .
I "think" the earlier engine has twin HS2 carbs? and maybe a different cam. The dolly 1500 was identical to the spit engine. What is the engine prefix?
Clive

Hi,
It's from a Triumph 1500TC Saloon, not a Dolly.
The engine number is YC66373HE .
I'm fairly sure it's got the larger carbs on it because my old 1300 air filters didn't fit and I had to buy some Spitfire 1500 ones.
I'm not unhappy with the engine. It runs well and seems to have plenty of life left in it (milage on donor car was 49K) it's just that if there's a few extra bhp to be gained easily then it's worth investigating.
Thanks,
Richard  ;)

Rummaging through the 'archives' turned this up.....

Interesting but also raising some questions:

This does indeed show the 1500TC as being 64 bhp/78lbft vs 71bhp/82lbft for spit 1500 & 71bhp/84lbft for Dolomite 1500.

This variance in spite of showing them to have the same compression ratio, camshaft and carb setup.  Indeed the 1500 TC has bigger valves which would normally be expected to make more power......

So either these figures are not comparable due to different measurment criteria or differences result from exhaust manifold/system differences or ignition curve differences.

I reckon that if you are using the twin down-pipe spit 1500 manifold then power must be damn near identical.  To get more, fit ram pipes/stubstacks to the SUs with a cold air box and large K & N filter in front of the rad.  You'll probably need to change the carb needles/damper springs to compensate.  Next stage would be a decent 4-2-1 tubular manifold.

Nick

Archived