GT6 Engine sound, any ideas?

GT6Craig

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=naUPdPXGe58

The car drives fine and ive ran it like this for quite some time....but after tinkering with the timing and fine tuning i cant seem to remove the odd sound from the first carb. Is this what you call pinking? Sounds to be coming more from the manifold that valves...if you watch it be sure to click "watch in high quality" at the bottom right of the video.
The other carb is really quiet - its just the first one thats confuddling me...according to my colour tune the mixtures okay.......

thanks!

Did you have the manifold off when you painted it? Any time you take it off it's good idea to replace it. Try nipping up the nuts with a spanner and see if the noise goes. Mine took three goes over a couple of weeks until they settled properly.

When I saw the Mk1 manifold clamps I liked them, much easier to get to than the 1300/1500 4-pot nuts. But I'm now not convinced on how good a job they do.

What if one your nuts has cracked off?

Changing the gasket is easy... once you've removed the manifold... which involves removing the bolts... which have been in there for 40 years and have probably seized in! :'(

Spray planty of WD40 or the like on them for a while beforehand, take it easy while undoing and if there is any resistence, stop and spray a bit more WD40 in.

I now have a snaped bolt to drill out.  The one on the righthand side as you look at it. Mind you it's been that way for about 2 1/2 years now and did the 2006 RBRR like it, but in theory it should be done asap!  2 1/2 years is asap, isn't it? :P

Agreed: if you haven't had the manifolds off, soak the nuts and footballs with WD-40 or PB Blast, drive around & knock them around a while, spray them again & give them a loosen/tighten nudge, drive around another day to agitate them, soak them again & then go for removal.

After getting the nuts loose, the exhaust manifold is going to be the strange game of pulling it back far enough to get off the studs without undoing the lower flange.  It can be done on the LHD cars, but I'd guess it's even stranger on the RHD cars with the steering column there.

Quote:
2 1/2 years is asap, isn't it?

Absolutely!

Well ive ordered a new gasket today. Ill start working them off with WD40 over the next few days.

I didnt take the manifold off to paint it, it was more of just a test to see how well the heat paint worked - hate the colour so i have some black stuff which ill spray on when i take it off.

Ill let you know how i get on and no doubt put a vid up.

Thanks!

When putting it back together, be sure to put lots of anti-sieze on the threads of the studs so you can get the nuts off next time.

If any of the studs back out, I'd be tempted to ask about replacing them with the allen-head cap screws many here have found much happiness in using there.  I still don't understand how you'd get the long cap screws will in through the footballs under the intake manifold, but apparently it can not only be done but is easier.

I had a similar issue last yr.

The exhaust port has a blown past the gasket.

http://www.gt6.ca/08/0502/

I now have worked into my regular maintenance routine to check the bolts to the intake and header.
I had discovered after a long road trip the bolts had slackened off.

Cut an old rag into 6 in. square-ish pieces & stuff them in the intake & exhaust holes in the head.

Scrape all the messiness off the mating surface carefully, don't scratch the metal.  I say don't scratch, because if you try not to scratch you may accidentally scratch but not likely gouge, whereas if you try not to gouge you may accidentally gouge.

I have a gasket-scraping tool now which makes things a little easier, but I think most of us started with & still use a putty knife.  I also finish up with a Dremel tool with a brass brush (they've got some wire brushes that are hard enough to wear into the steel of the head, & you don't want that).

When you get all the crusties off, get a rag & a good solvent that leaves no residue like acetone and clean away the unseen oiliness, etc. left after the scraping.  Does lacquer thinner leave anything behind?  It's good & it's usually available at the hardware store.

After it's all cleaned up, you can pull the bits of rag out of the holes with needlenose pliers or a piece of coathanger wire & feel good about nothing unwanted having fallen in.

Archived