engine not running well

soooty

dont know much about my gt6 as ive not had it long.  on starting it up on tick over the revs will sometimes jump up by themselves without me pressing the ccelerator at all.. and then die back down agein.  I'm told this is probably becuse its not firing on all 6 cylinders and that when it does momentarily the engive revs rise.  after about 10 minutes of revving the knackers of it it reaches better temperature and is drivable without the choke.. this is a pain though and disturbs the neuigbours.. if i dont do this the engine just stalls.  the previous keeper said the carbs need balancing- does this sound like all thats wrong with it or should i be expecting even more engine work to be undertaken to get it running right?

A compression test will tell you if any other engine work is likely to be required provided that the bearings etc are not noisy/worn.  Compressions should all be within a few lbf/in of each other.  Balancing the carbs may be all that is needed but personally I would give all of the ignotion components a once over. Change the points, plugs, ht leads, distributor cap, condensor and rotor arm.  Then check the timing and balance the carbs and set the mixture. Once you have done all of that at least you have a known starting point. Also check for any air leaks in the carb/inlet manifold area.

Possibly as PJM says, an air leak... I've had this on various engines and the revs rise and fall by themselves on idle.
Try squirting WD40 around the manifold gaskets as the engine idles and watch for smoke from the exhaust as it's drawn in.
If you've one cylinder not firing the engine will be a very rough idle, not at all smooth as when they all fire. You can test for this by removing one spark plug lead at a time as it idles and see if there's any change; there should be a noticeable change in the engine smoothness unless you disconnect the one that isn't running, in which case there'll be no change at all.
Wear heavy gloves to avoid shocking or burning yourself!

How long have you had the KN filter fitted. The resonse is that when you fit them you need to richen the mixture or fit richer needles.

People fit them as a go faster extra and the car goes worce because it fcyks the mixture up.

Nother thing I forgot there is as diapharm in the that thing, that is the pipe from the inlet manifold to the rocket cover that get holes in it.

it called an Emission Control Valve and it really muck thing up if that goes

Indeed, I suspect the first thing is indded a service, ie tune up the carbs, and also the electrics.
Also that emission valve does indeed cause big probs if split, as do the rubber diaphragms in the carbs if they go...
If that doesn't sort it then start looking elsewhere. And Monty has a good point about the air filters, may well need some tweeks to get them to work correctly with the carbs. However it should still run OK from cold with the choke and be smooth, problems would be at high rpm.
Clive

Archived