Engine problems

SpencerH

Finally after a year of work we have managed to get the Spitfire up and running. It was quite the thrill to drive it, although the first time i took it for a spin i got pulled over for not having it licensed yet! But now that it has been up and running, some problems have started to arise. I find that if i leave it idle for more then a a minute the engine cuts out, and then i have to wait half an hour or so before it will fire up again. I am not quite sure what the problem is. I am not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, i'll admit. Any thoughts?

Okay, so its almost spring here, so i havent had a chance to take it out for the last few months. But given everything does what it did last time, and it dies, and the plugs are oily black, How do i go about fixing a problem like that?

Thanks

If the plugs are black or sooty then the mixture is too rich. First check the choke is not sticking on, then check the air filter is clean (try it without if neccassary), then try adjusting the carbs. If this fails then it gets a bit more involved and, as your say you're not very mechanicallay minded, you will need to get a mechanic or fellow Triumph driver to help. Alternatively buy a workshop manual and learn by experience (and mistakes).

If the plugs are a nice tan colour then it's more liley to be electrical, maybe the coil is breaking down when hot, or the distributor or points might be loose. I have even known spark plugs to break down when hot so don't rule them out either.

Where are you based?

Check your tappets, set them when the engine is warm. my gt6 used to do the same thing. When the car got warm it used to die.....tried all sorts, coil, plugs,leads but it was cos the valves weren't closing.......no compression.........no boom boom

Darren

I am actually based in Canada unfortunately. There is not a whole lot of fellow Spitfire owners in the city of Saskatoon. I've got the Haynes Manual and so far have just been kind of learning as i go, and as you say, by many mistakes as well haha. I was just not sure where i should even being to start looking for this problem.

Archived