Spitfire engine/gearbox

Dive_gimp

I have just bought my missus a Triumph Spitfire mark IV restoration project. it is however missing the engine, gearbox and prop shaft and I would like some advice on what best to get. I am aware that this car took the 1300 engine (unless I am wrong?) but as the car will not have the matching engine I am not to sure how important fitting the right size is so was considering a 1500? Does this engine go in with no mods?  Another question is would a Midget 1500 engine, gearbox and prop shaft fit straight into the car? Also do I get an overdrive box or a standard one?? The car will mainly be used for driving around the Yorkshire Dales area with some small trips to other villages and towns in the area, maybe some club events. Oh and once we get teh reg numbers Katie is going to join the club as a new owner of a Triumph car :D

A 1500 will fit no mods, I assume the midget one will go in, but there may be a different sump fitted or other minor differences. The midget bot will also be fine, though the monting plate and prop will probably be of no use.
An overdrive box is a nice addition, but be careful to get everything you need (mountings, angle drive, gearstick with switch, propshaft etc) as getting the individual bits can be tricky and or expensive.
And welcome to the madness of triumph ownership. Get along to a club meeting, it is the most valuable step you can take, and no, you do not need to be a member or have a Triumph on the road. Try before you buy!
Clive

Thanks for that guys, I have found a Midget engine and gearbox in leeds which is nice and close to home am pretty tempted to get it as its pretty cheap and I will expect to rebuild an engine that has been lying about so cheap is good I think. I think i am going to avoid the overdrive to be honest as from the sounds of things it will make things pretty complicated and this is the first car I have rebuilt done lots of motorbikes, just no cars. So think i am gonna keep it pretty simple. As far as changing the diff gearing is that quite easy? Do I just need to buy one from a 1500?? Will keep my eyes open though am in no rush for the engine as the bosy is going to need a fair bit of work yet and am not expecting to have the missus drive her car in the near future....

I have a Spitfire 1500 engine and gearbox for sale from a 1981 car with only 65000 miles on the clock. The engine was reported to have been rebuilt by the BL main dealer at about 40000 miles bexause of oil leaks! I cannot verify this however but can vouch that it is completely dry on the outside. It will come with all the ancilliaries apart from the alternator. I also have the propshaft and diff from the same car. PM me if you are interested. I will be firing it up to check it over at the weekend. It will all end up on Ebay otherwise! ;)

Herald engine (1300) is the same moreor less as the spitfire item. Single carb though....
Gearbox is the smae as an early spitfire, no synchro on first gear :-/ and prop is longer.
If you can get a good engine/box it is the best way forward, MUCH cheaper than rebuilding a worn-out lump. A new set of bearings for peace of mind and should be good for years.
Don't be afraid of overdrive if it is a complete setup. Makes the car more useful on journeys at speed.
Clive

Won't go under the Spit bonnet on the standard mounts. Need a GT6 bonnet for ease. Should really then also change the front suspension for the stronger GT6 items and it'll need different springs as the engine is quite a bit heavier, make for a bice car when done, would def need a 3.63 or better still a 3.27 ratio diff.
Additional changes, tacho, radiator, different gearbox, starter on the other side might need a bit of bulkhead cutting back, easy done with snips as it's a single flat, panel,
there's prob others but it's a common change.

Yours
Mark

I think I will forget about the GT6 engine plans then seems like adding a lot more hassle and expense, the spitfire I have has all new suspension and brakes so would seem a shame to go and buy new units. Reckon its best to wait for a spitfire engine and gearbox to come up closish to home. So if anyone has one give me a PM I live in Pickering North Yorkshire so would like to not have to travel to far really.

Lee

131 wrote:
I have a Spitfire 1500 engine and gearbox for sale from a 1981 car with only 65000 miles on the clock. The engine was reported to have been rebuilt by the BL main dealer at about 40000 miles bexause of oil leaks! I cannot verify this however but can vouch that it is completely dry on the outside. It will come with all the ancilliaries apart from the alternator. I also have the propshaft and diff from the same car. PM me if you are interested. I will be firing it up to check it over at the weekend. It will all end up on Ebay otherwise! ;)

Hi Lee did you not read this reply?  sounds ideal to me all the bits from the same car all in one place.  I don't know where he lives but a small hire van for the day and away you go !!!!

yeah I sure did read the post mate, thanks for pointing it out to me though. Have PM'd him and waiting for a reply, got a big 4x4 so all the parts should fit in there no probs at all. Any others let me know though I like to keep my options open.

many thanks to everyone

Lee

No big deal about the lack of synchro first. A bit of a pain as you have to be stationary before engaging otherwise you crunch it.  ??)

If you can find one get a MkIV Spitfire 3 rail box, that has synchro first and yes the MkIII is the nicest engine!

superb, doubt 1st gear will raelly get used unless at a stand still anyway. Unless these cars have crazy gearing!? Is the diff ratio the same for a mk3 and mk4? As my car is a mk4 and has the diff in place. I may hunt for a mk4 gearbox. Prop shaft will be ok between them?

Different flanges on the back of mk3 and mk4 gearboxes BUT I thing you can swap the gearbox flanges easily enough to overcome that hiccup. But then you still need a MK4 output flange. Alternatively swap one end of the propshaft. That may put it out of balance though (or nay not!)

Archived