Help Identifing Current Engine

marvin71

Could anyone give me any pointer regarding the engine that's currently fitted in my late MK3 GT6.

The engine prefix is MM (a 2500TC engine as far as i can make out from the prefix) I have the original invoice (date 1987) from a previous owner for the supply and fit of this engine which states "3/4 engine 2000cc GT6"

Is there any outward signs that i could look for to confirm whether this is a 2 litre or a 2.5.

I'm about to try and get it on the road and don't want to purchase anything that wont fit becuase it is a 2.5 rather than the 2 litre it should be.

Thanks

marvin71 wrote:
Could anyone give me any pointer regarding the engine that's currently fitted in my late MK3 GT6.

The engine prefix is MM (a 2500TC engine as far as i can make out from the prefix) I have the original invoice (date 1987) from a previous owner for the supply and fit of this engine which states "3/4 engine 2000cc GT6"

Is there any outward signs that i could look for to confirm whether this is a 2 litre or a 2.5.

I'm about to try and get it on the road and don't want to purchase anything that wont fit becuase it is a 2.5 rather than the 2 litre it should be.

Thanks

Have a look at the bottom of the sump.  If it's a 2.5 then the sump should have some "bulges" in it in order to allow the longer throw of the crank to miss the sump.  This is because a 2.5 sump is too deep to fit in a GT6 so a modded 2.0l sump needs to be used.  The engine rebuild may have used a 2.5 block but had the 2.0 crank and rods fitted making it a 2.0 still.  I wouldn't worry about buying unsuitable parts as i don't know of any that wouldn't fit (unless your doing major engine works yourself)  

Archived