What engine is this?

Llessur

Externally, is there any way of telling the later GT6 2 litre blocks apart - i.e. the one with the domed pistons from the one with the flat-top ones?

It appears my engine number has mysteriously been re-stamped at some point (possibly following a rebuild? who knows...) and doesn't make that much sense to me - KF2658C (or possibly KE2658C - stamping is a bit poor on the 2nd character).

I know that a C suffix was used to denote engines destined for the Californian market which would make KF2658C a valid number for an early mk3 (i.e. flat-top piston) block for the Californian market.

However, the head part number is 218225 which seems to relate to a 2.5-style head for the dome-topped piston block (i.e. engine number KF10,000 onwards). This would therefore be the wrong head for the block - unless it has been skimmed, which I guess is quite possible.

The engine runs fine so I'm not really concerned at the moment (certainly not enough to take the head off) but to satisfy my curiosity are there any ways of telling the early (flat piston) block from the later (domed piston) block externally?

If not I'll live with it but always wonder... :-/

Hmm, the gasket does have this tag so I guess this would point towards the later block.

I did wonder whether the block had been decked which might account for the need to re-stamp the engine number. Maybe the C was in fact a zero or something and has been mis-stamped. This means the engine number would be KE26580 or similar which would be correct for the head and the gasket.

Makes more sense to me than any of the other possibilities. If this is the case then I wonder what work the engine's had in the past - and whether it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Oh well, it only set me back £100 and I'll find out with time I guess ;)

I think USA GT6's run as low as 7.5:1 or 8:1 CR in California and this was achieved by flat top pistons and a 3.400" 218225 head (2.5 head in UK).
UK GT6's ran domed piston with the same head giving 9.25:1 CR

Only sussed this recently having read Nick Moores Blog. He has a USA Mk3 with a similar engine http://geologist-abroad.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

I think USA GT6's run as low as 7.5:1 or 8:1 CR in California and this was achieved by flat top pistons and a 3.400" 218225 head (2.5 head in UK).
UK GT6's ran domed piston with the same head giving 9.25:1 CR

Only sussed this recently having read Nick Moores Blog. He has a USA Mk3 with a similar engine http://geologist-abroad.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

lagerzok wrote:
http://geologist-abroad.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

Hmmm - that's very interesting - I wonder if that's what's happened in this case? Maybe that's why the engine number's been re-stamped if the block's been skimmed to get the compression up?

It would be just my luck if I had the lowest-powered GT6 outside of California  ;D

I guess I'll have no way of knowing unless the head has to come off at some point - until then I'll live with it and just tell everyone it's more of a cruiser than a sports car...

If only I had one of those tiny little night-vision cameras like off of the spy films so I could have a sneaky look through the spark plug orifice... :-/

Llessur wrote:
Maybe the C was in fact a zero or something and has been mis-stamped. This means the engine number would be KE26580 or similar which would be correct for the head and the gasket.

Makes more sense to me than any of the other possibilities.
Makes more sense to me, too, since I don't recall that there were any California-specific GT6 engines. Later Spitfire 1500s, yes, but not GT6.

Richard_B wrote:
Use a piece of softwire through the spark plug holes you maybe able to confirm if there is a dome on the pistons?

I might give this one a try - I couldn't see anything with a torch when I looked but I do remember it being rather a pathetic torch so I'll whip the old maglite out and have another look.

Llessur wrote:

If only I had one of those tiny little night-vision cameras like off of the spy films so I could have a sneaky look through the spark plug orifice... :-/

One of these would do the job but it's a bit pricey!
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=259804

My trust Maglight tells me it is defintiely dome-topped pistons. Therefore I rekcon that engine number's been re-stamped slightly wrong - was probably KE26580 - not KE2658C.

Mystery solved... :)

Given this, what are the bhp/torque differences (lower presumably) between the early mk111 flat-top piston engine and the later dome-topped one?

Archived