Spitfire engine conversion options??

Spit73

Hi, i have been offered a Spitfire 1500 which i want to buy, power is a little dull in standard form so im looking at an engine upgrade/conversion. After some internet checking im looking at 3 options, any advice or ideas from you would be greatly appreciated.
Option 1 mgcars.org.uk can supply a 5 speed gearbox and Rover K series engine, that goes into Spitfire with min mods, looks good tunable engine but is expensive option.

Option 2 buy a 1.8 20v turbo engine in the form of a complete car like a Volks passat, Audi, Seat etc, which can be had 70k mileage for around £1100 and transfer all needfull into the Spitfire, good tunable engine and most of Spitfire running gear can take up to a maximum of 150hp without converting too much, this engine would be 150bhp in standard form, not too crazy torque.

Option 3 source a SAAB early 2.0 litre16v  turbo engine, this engine was originally derived from Triumph, i quote direct from the 'source' wikipedia ..'''16v turbo engines are easily tunable and highly available. May also fit in Triumph Herald and Triumph Dolomite, which as it is derived from the Triumph Slant-4 engine and bolt it up to the Triumph 5-speed'''.  This would appear to look a good option,
I prefer to hear from guys that have tried this before rather, please help??! :-)

Hi, i have been offered a Spitfire 1500 which i want to buy, power is a little dull in standard form so im looking at an engine upgrade/conversion. After some internet checking im looking at 3 options, any advice or ideas from you would be greatly appreciated.
Option 1 mgcars.org.uk can supply a 5 speed gearbox and Rover K series engine, that goes into Spitfire with min mods, looks good tunable engine but is expensive option.

Option 2 buy a 1.8 20v turbo engine in the form of a complete car like a Volks passat, Audi, Seat etc, which can be had 70k mileage for around £1100 and transfer all needfull into the Spitfire, good tunable engine and most of Spitfire running gear can take up to a maximum of 150hp without converting too much, this engine would be 150bhp in standard form, not too crazy torque.

Option 3 source a SAAB early 2.0 litre16v  turbo engine, this engine was originally derived from Triumph, i quote direct from the 'source' wikipedia ..'''16v turbo engines are easily tunable and highly available. May also fit in Triumph Herald and Triumph Dolomite, which as it is derived from the Triumph Slant-4 engine and bolt it up to the Triumph 5-speed'''.  This would appear to look a good option,

, please help :-)

ok,
option one, min mods still a fare bit to do but yes this is one option can be done rather cheap you can get a full 160 vvc engine with all the bits for 600 from ebay mgf breakers with guarantee a ford type 9 and a caterham bellhousing will have you all the bits for less than a grand just need a custom prop, mounts, and new rad so not to bad if you are willing to do all the work yourself very light engine but prone to headgaskets on pre 2002 engines but there are now upgrades that can fix this problem on older engines

option 2 yes great idea but this engine is far to tall so a large bonnet bulge will be needed

option 3 same as above.

if your looking for power do more searching for a little spitfire i would say try getting a light engine with a bit of poke but over 150bhp and some hard driving your rear end will not last to long before it goes bang and your changing it oftern

option 4 fit a triumph straight six not to bad to get to 150bhp and all the way upto 200bhp but depends what sort of car you want an every day car or a weekend fire breathing nutcase car or a mix

lots of options but i would say think it all through first and at all costs please try get around putting a daft bonnet bulge in as they look silly on a spitfire

Im looking for an everyday car with lively performance, not for track or competition, have read that its cheaper to stay on or below the 150 bhp mark to avoid major running gear chnages, which im happy to do. 150 in that weight of car should be ideal. So just looking at the most economical way to get there...
good advice on the gearbox and bits, thats really handy, trying to source all the ancillaries is half the battle

Well the k-series stuff is covered fairly well with the Dave sideways blog I will not link it as people on this site may not like that.

Depends how competent you are, if you can assemble it all it will work out cheaper buying the parts from ebay, if you have the cash forget the ecu got for an emerald and they will send you it preloaded so it sill work then go down to them and they will retune it for your car on the rolling road there new ecu can now control the vvc stuff.

If not you can use the original ecu but the wiring is a right nightmare I would recommend a rover 200VI as they are very cheap for a full donor car and lots in scrap yards around the 150bhp, the biggest thing is the exhaust that restricts this engine so get a decent manifold sorted. The plenum faces the wrong way so you will need to sort that to as to where you put the air filter.

You will need the type nine box and the correct bell housing you can also get the bell housing from frontline. They come up on ebay every month or so, you may be lucky and get one cheap.

Even with this power your rear end may not last that long with some good rubber on the wheels, you will always need to ease the power in and not just dump it. If your wanting the ultimate rear end send a PM to Jango on this forum he offers a kit that will handle just about any power you can chuck at it.

p.s you need to delete the post you also put in the dolomite section as you asked the same question there

Option 4:  Period hotrodding.   Port & polish head, add Weber carburettors, maybe electronic ignition.  

Edit:  I've merged this post with the one you made in Technical Chit-Chat to keep all the responses in one place.  If you'd prefer it to go over there, let me know & I will move it.

Zetec it! or vauxhall redtop.
I have serious reservations about the k-series. Not too convinced when people say it had problems but they have been fixed, still too many around with HGF. I seem to remember that it is too tall for a std bonnet, as DS has the T9 fibreglas one with a bulge. But that may be my age (the lack of certain memory!)
There is also the dolly sprint engine, did that 15 years ago, pretty straightforward except the exhaust. Almost as quick as my zetec, and more economical than the 1300 it replaced.

Archived