GT6 - Engine Differences

Kae

Hi Guys,

Me again, with yet another question... sorry!

Looking at the official MPG figures for the GT6, the mk1 is significantly poorer than the mk2 & 3.

Mk1 - 20mpg
Mk2 - 29mpg
Mk3 - 28mpg

What's the differences between the mk1 and mk2 engines to give such an improvement in economy?  If I was to get a Mk1 with an original engine in it (hmm) would there be a simple means to improve economy? Or would it just be a case of swapping out the engine?

If/when I do get my hands on one, it won't be a trolley-dolly so economy is something I am interested in!

Cheerio,

Andy.

MK 1 engines wernt as efficient as the MK 2/3 ones  [ cyl head, cam, c r , ]

plus if its got OD or not,

both about the same overall gearing,

but  OD car, will be a lot more  revved, than one with out OD

unless it was one of the few that came oot with  3.27 and OD,

plus it all depends on the ..test milage.. and how much it was thrashed

some of the  road tests also say it will get near 50 mpg at 30-40 mph

think this is aboot right

Marcus

Now I've gone back to look at what I read, I can't remember where I read it!

Anyway, that's great news :D

My last petrol car achieved that on my day to day running (bit more on motorways).

So would you say the Mk1 engine is harder to tune than a later engine?  Or if serious work (port&polish, balance, new cam and rebuild) is being undertaken, there isn't much difference?

Sorry for all the questions!

Andy.

Mk 1 engine has a different head and manifolds and is not the best basis for tuning.  The bottom end is the same and can actually be fitted with the later heads - if the head stud holes in the block are drilled and tapped out to suit - not a trivial job.

The best of the engines "from the factory" would be the Mk2 and perhaps some earlier mk3.  Not that many are as they left the factory now though.  It is also possible to fit the 2.5 from saloons/TR6 etc but increases the (already quite high) chances of trouble from the transmission.

The reality is that any of the standard cars has pretty spritely performance when in good condition and the real world performance differences between MK1 and Mk2 are actually pretty small.

Nick

If you want economy buy a Prius or something  :P

My GT6 returns about 18-30 depending on how i drive it, but the whole point of "driving" a classic is to, erm, drive it. So anticipate low mpg.....unless your a sedate driver.
then inevitably you will have to fettle with the carbs,timing etc at some point, what are you going to do about tuning it? You cant pay a pro to tune it every single time so factor in periods where it will run, but not at its most economic. In my case i was always messing with the timing until i learnt enough to squeeze out every mpg whilst maintaining driveability

I ran my GT6 as my everyday and it was fine, £20 in my 1.6 focus would get me the same mileage as £30 in the Six.

but i understand your question - i was exactly the same, i guess its important to count the beans, but its not great worrying aabout using petrol when driving a car. The only time i was really upset was when on the commute my mate was getting 200 miles to £20 in his Fabia

I very rarely check the MPG on my GT6 MKIII but on the rare occasions I have I've always got at least 30MPG and as others on the forum will no doubt comment I don't exactly drive it gently :-). I've done the RBRR twice in it and both times returned 33MPG and it was driven pretty hard all the way around. The best I've ever got is around 35MPG but that was touring in Europe in the company of a Herald 1200 so cruising speeds were relatively low!

It is well tuned though with a set of brand new carbs a few years back, electronic igntion, electric fan and overdrive, all of which probably help to keep the engine efficient.

Quote:
Small peugeot diesel will be better.

or a 1.4 diesel Rover Metro, (hydolastic suspension - comfy  :) )

or a 1.5 diesel Rover 100, (hydrolastic suspension AND wood on the dash - VERY comfy   ??) )

they have the bullet proof peugeot engine in them from the factory,

....and cheaper than a peugeot?!?  8)

[quote=GT6_Don]Err...the Pious...my partner has one of these and I drive it a fair bit...computer shows 54mpg and my foot is always on the carpet.

did no one see Clarkson and his mob, with one of these,

it went round the track 5 laps, and so did a BMW M5  400 odd BHP,

and the BM got 26 I think, but the Prius, was down to 18 ish,

not quite sure on the figs, but it showed that it was ..useless..

drive any car sensibly, and you will get good MPG

Marcus

The Pious has the worst carbon footprint of all cars the cadmium in the batteries is mined in China then shipped to Japan for refinement the energy used to make the batteries i.e. mining,shipping, refinment then battery production makes it the biggest con of all the car industries OEM manufactures . You could run a Bentley 5 times around the world before you got anywhere near a Pious carbon footprint. Then you got to get rid of all that cadmium at the end off 5 years because the batteries are past their life.

Well I really like the Diesel Mini Cooper. I bought one for my missus, quicker than the petrol Cooper on the raod as the 50 - 70 aceleration  is 2 secs better, just where you need it for overtaking and pulling out of corners and she regularly gets 60MPG and has seen close to 70MPG taking it easy on a long run, the worst I've managed to get with some really spirited driving round the lanes is 47MPG.

cook1e wrote:
I very rarely check the MPG on my GT6 MKIII but on the rare occasions I have I've always got at least 30MPG and as others on the forum will no doubt comment I don't exactly drive it gently :-). I've done the RBRR twice in it and both times returned 33MPG and it was driven pretty hard all the way around. The best I've ever got is around 35MPG but that was touring in Europe in the company of a Herald 1200 so cruising speeds were relatively low!

It is well tuned though with a set of brand new carbs a few years back, electronic igntion, electric fan and overdrive, all of which probably help to keep the engine efficient.

Scrub what I said above, just looked through my records from the RBRR last year and I actually got 38MPG on part of the run in Scotland from connan Bridge to Lockerbie. Thta's pretty damn impressive if you compare it with the official MPG figures up 35% compared withy the quoted 28MPG Blimey  :)

Archived