kingrory01

Hello,

I'm restoring my GT6 and have decided that i chould get the engine rebuilt. It's done 108000 miles and their's no signs of the engine having been look at previously.

How much would an engine rebuild cost?

Would it be cheaper to do it myself and is it relatively easy tyo do?

Being new to the mechanical world what would i be looking for.

Also is their a way of increasing power without changing to a 2.5 litre engine.

Cheers

ROry

A reconditioned engine is about £1500 these days, and that is all std stuff!
If there is nothing wrong with the engine, it may well benefit from being "refreshed". That means taking it all apart, cleaning it thoroughly, and re-assembly with new GOOD QUALITY crank bearings, plus honing the cylinder bores and new rings. Of course this allows you to inspect compnents, and they can be mahined/replaced if needed.
The cylinder head would probably be worth reconditioning with unleaded seats for the exhaust valves with 3 angled seats, maybe a skim too, especially after a little more power.
Depending on which engine (ie early MK1, MK2 or 3 etc) it may have domed pistons, deeper head etc, so gains can be made by swapping some parts. Also camshafts.....but a bit more info needed.

If after exra power see the head wrecked thread, 150bhp but that has had considerable time, effort and a fair chunk of cash put into it. Decide what you want, simple increase or more extreme. the more yo want the more it costs!

Good advice from clifty.

But have a read of this, Rory:
http://www.totallytriumph.net/spitfire/engine_building.shtml

It's about Spitfire nehines, but they are so similar......
This is the best Triumph engine rebuild page I know, takes you further than you might want, but that's up to you.

JOhn

Thanks for the help.

Basically i would like a little extra power so nothing to extreme. I've got a MK 2 GT6 so would that have the domed pistons?

I'm probably looking at just refreshing the engine, maybe replacing the camshaft, and skimming the head, possibly getting a re-bore but im unsure of cost with that option.

Do you know of any good books that talk you through the process of taking an engine apart?

Also what affect would having 3 carbs on the engine have? Would it be pointless if the engine had not been modified?

Cheers

Rory

buy a haynes manual and have a read through firstly. Do you know you actually need a rebuild? or does it just seem like the thing to do? if you want to takeit apart, then check and measure components as per the specification and replace only the parts that are worn or nearly worn to the tolerances.
you don't even need to be thinking about triple carbs, you can get over 180hp with just two!

1092 wrote:
I've got a MK 2 GT6 so would that have the domed pistons?

Also what affect would having 3 carbs on the engine have? Would it be pointless if the engine had not been modified?

Rory

If you look on the TTN site, there's an article I wrote about compression ratios.  The domed pistons came in about halfway through GT6 Mk2 - the correction note at the end gives exactly when, so you can know.  But you can only know what pistons your car had originally!   I wouldn't worry about them unless you want a race engine.

3 carbs?  Big hole in your pocket, for the inlet manifolds, and by themselves minimal effect unless as you say you do a lot more to the engine.  But  John Thomason made some inlets himself, years ago, they can look magnificent!  Make the GT6 even more of the "Poor Man's E-type"!

John

Hello,

I've just found this engine rebuild kit on James PAddock and was wondering if this has been used by anyone, and if it was the kind of thing i should be looking into getting.

http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/StockSearch.aspx?sCriteria=jpg100

Cheers

It depends what it contains. In any case I suspect it would have the normal crankshaft bearings from county, rather than their heavy duty ones (much better bet)
Besides, until you take the engine apart it will be difficult to know exactly what you need. It may just need what I said above, I expect the kit includes new pistons and therefore expects a re-bore, which may/may not be required.

JohnD wrote:
  The domed pistons came in about halfway through GT6 Mk2 - the correction note at the end gives exactly when, so you can know.  But you can only know what pistons your car had originally!  

***** The domed pistons came in halfway through GT6 MkIII production not MkII *****

Check the height of the head, if 3.300" then flat pistons, if 3.400 the domed pistons (and same head part No. as the 2.5PI).

If the engine as recessed block (head gasket has a tag at the back) then I think it has domed pistons, not sure if the converse applys?

Thanks John thats a really interesting site regarding engine rebuilding, I can see me spending some time reading that lot!

Archived