1970 mk IV engine/gearbox  into MK III????

JER

OK important question I ordered an engine and gearbox from a parts locating business, was told I was receiving a 1970 spit mk 3 engine/gearbox.  The engine came yesterday not what I was expecting - but its a start, although the engine number is an FK#.  So this makes it a mk IV engine/gearbox....  Is this a deal breaker, will I need to modify or replace anything on my MK III... my gearbox is on the fritz which is why I bought the engine and gearbox.  Help please I only have limited time to return this engine before its completely mine..  Thanks JEREMY

So thats a US Mk 1V 1300. I would change it if you can. You really want the small crank 1300 as fitted to the MK3. Just a much better engine, much more potential. I have a Mk 1V 1300 in my Mk3 spit and although its in really good condition its feels gutless. I have a FD small crank ready to replace it.

Wow.  Just talked to the guy and he said that there are no returns unless its a mechanical fault...  I very clearly requested a mk III now he says they're the same engine I should quit crying and take him to court if its a problem and I'll lose...  Nice and I'm exhausted....  $1500 US lost (top ten money mistakes ever)  Did he really send me an inferior engine??? Jer

Jer,
NOT the same engine and generally considered inferior. If US spec even worse.
                                                                Sorry to say this,
                                                                Paul

The MkIV engine is substantially different from the Mk3. The engine is not what you ordered, you have been supplied with an inferior item. While I know little about US law, I'm sure you will have legal recourse if the seller doesn't co-operate. Did you pay by credit card?

Cheers,
Bill.

Debit card / mastercard....  not sure if i can dispute charges on that..  He keeps saying that I need to prove its different/ inferior...   How should I respond...

Another question here would be the gearbox. What gearbox did you get? If it's original to that FK engine (FH prefix on the gearbox), it's an all-synchro gearbox, while a '70 Mk3 gearbox (most likely FD). Arguably the all-synchro gearbox is nicer if not better, but you'll have to swap out the u-joint flange on your propeller shaft to fit it to the car.

But back to the engine. FK engines aren't horrible, but they're not quite as nice as the FD/FE 1300s. What's the full engine number with suffix? If the suffix is UE, you've actually got a recessed-bore, low-compression 1972 model "emissions" engine. Willing little lumps, but about the lowest ever output for a Spitfire engine.

Hi,

Sorry to hear.

I suppose it really depends on what you asked for.  

If you asked for a 1300 Spitfire engine then what you have is a version.  If you asked for a specific version - a Mk3 Spitfire engine - you didn't get what you asked for and should get your money back.

I'd keep whatever paper trail you have to prove what you asked for and expected and what was received.

The link below may help understand the different engine suffix and prefix codes.

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/enginenumbers.html

Paul

if he thinks they're the same engine, he clearly doesnt know what hes talking about. he sounds like an arsehole aswell. i'd be getting on the case to make his life as miserable as possible. i happen to have a MKIV engine in my spit, was there when i got the car. does the job, but theres always this nagging in the back of my mind of how a 'proper' mk3 engine would feel in my car......

Fizzy,

Grab yourself a 13/60 block as are peanuts, put in a set of cam-bearings and you've essentailly got a Mk3 Spitfire block.  

Throw on a 1300 head with a number ending in 39, 40 41, or 42 such as on a DG head off a 1300 TC Toledo and it'll come with with std larger (TR6 size) valves.

Then smile.

Paul

1979 wrote:
The full engine number was FK8334HE or HF?  there was a scratch and lost some visibility....

This makes it an early Spit MKIV engine, without recessed bores - ie a flat top block.

The camshaft will be the same as the MKIII Spitfire, and it will be running in bearings, like the MKIII - unless it has been replaced by a previous owner.

The head will be the same as the MKIII Spit.

The primary difference is the crankshaft - the diameter of the journals is larger, which makes the crankshaft a lot heavier, so it does not rev as freely, and should not be reved quite as hard as a MKIII engine.

Otherwise, it will be very similar to the MKIII engine, and certainly better than a later MKIV engine (FH/FK 25001 HE onwards)

Paul_Garvey wrote:
...The link below may help understand the different engine suffix and prefix codes.

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/enginenumbers.html

Paul
And there's a similar table "closer to home" as it were:

[Sorry, link no longer available]

RumPith wrote:
...and Fizzy, if you're thinking of attending the June Pendle & Pennine meeting (as many others are, cos it's the night before the Auto Ecosse), I'll take you for a spin in a "proper" Mk 3 1300 ;)

Never mind Fizzy ;)

I don't think I have had the honour of a run in your little peach yet Jon  :o :(

Steve.
The gearbox no. is stamped into the top face of the main gearbox case on the front right.
                                                                                  Cheers,
                                                                                  Paul

FK?  That's a US Spec MKIV engine.  In the UK MKIV's came with engine numbers starting FH.  My November 1970 MKIV came from the factory with engine FH381HE.

Up until FH25000 they used the same profile cam as the MK3, so shouldn't be a million miles off.  Unless someone has changed it, that is!

The big/small journal debate is a load of tosh, the size of the journals isn't going to sap as much power as everyone would have you believe.  Some good balancing of the bottom end, porting the head to manifold properly, MKIII cam and decent size valves will help a lot more than "just" using a small journal block would ;)

The DH Dolomite engine (Toledo had DG) is essentially the same as a later (post 1972) MKIV 1300.  I have one currently being rebuilt for my car (currently has a 1500).  Will end up with HS4 carbs and the Spit MKIII cam :)

Archived