MK3 Spitfire Engine

GTTR6

Hi

Can anyone tell me what would be required to convert a Herald 13/60 engine to the same spec as a standard FD engine? am i right in saying that the cam runs in the block on the herald and has bearings on the spitfire.  Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

Jerry

Basically, yes. The only difference I can think of is the camshaft and its bearings. If you want to install an FD profile cam you have 2 choices; either install bearings (which can be fitted using the old 13/60 cam as a drift) and use a Mk3 Spit FD cam, or buy a larger journal cam with the FD profile and run without bearings.

If you fit the bearings yourself, advice is to have them line bore checked afterwards. Some other advice is to do this yourself, carefully using the new camshaft to check for any tight spots. The new bearings may have some degree of mushrooming on the edges from where they have been drifted in, which will need relieving with a file.

GTTR6,
Also remember to swap in the Mk3 dizzy the 13/60 advance curve won't be right.
                                                                              Cheers,
                                                                              Paul

Archived