GT6 ENGINE - CARBS - PLUGS???

kim170503

Hi guys, i have at last managed to get my car wiring sorted with thanks from aaron, thing is now, we have tried to fire up the engine and can't seem to work it out, we are getting fuel going to the carbs, if i put fuel into the spark plug areas then the car fires up, sounds really nice but for some reason the fuel is not getting from the carbs to the plugs??? Anyone have any ideas as i am not very mechanical on something like this??? :'( :'( :'(

Well it is unlikely that both carbs aren't delivering fuel into the engine.

How have you established that fuel isn't getting into the engine?

Just because it isn't firing doesn't mean to say fuel isn't getting in...Perhaps the mixture is just too weak? What carbs are they? Is there a brass screw underneath each carb?

Can you tell us a bit about the state of the carbs. Have they been rebuilt or messed with since it was last running? Is the choke working and have you been using this when trying to start? Have you tried something like 'Easy start' spray down the carb inlets when turning it over?

Do we know that the firing order is definitely correct (HT leads in correct order).

I had a hell of a time getting the engine to start when one of my CD150 Stromberg diaphrams was split - worth checking! (no 18 in this image)

Plugs: it is possible to have 2 or 3 'go' when an engine has been left for a while. I had it over 2 winters, after only a 2 or 3 month break the plugs just died.. odd.. and expensive!

tiggrr1 wrote:
If they are Strombergs it will say so on the top of the carbs (at least they do on my CD150SE's)

unless the previous owner had a  warped sense of humour :)  (sorry, couldn't resist it but you'll know easily enough if they're SUs or other add-ons rather than original carbs)

Check the plugs - if they're wet then fuel is getting to them, if not - it isn't! The petrol won't go anywhere if the engine isn't firing so the plugs will have petrol on them until it evaporates. Make sure the plugs are clean and not oiled up - a running engine may clean oil etc off plugs, but getting it to run is the initial difficulty.
If the engine runs with petrol in the inlets, but not through the carbs, then the carbs are running too weak or are blocked. Take the tops off both carbs (one at a time for reference, and note how everything goes!) and look at how clean they are. As Hutch says it may be one or both diaphragms have split.

I'd start by confirming that the ignition side is spot on. As suggested previously make sure the leads are on in correct order, points adjusted and connecting wire on correct order. If fuel is getting to carbs but not engine then perhaps the floats in the fuel chamber are fitted in a way that they are closing off supply i.e. float needles could be stuck? If free check the setting of the floats by placing the carbs upside down and measuring the clearance, about 11mm but check this and where to measure it.

For a bit of a long shot, has a wire on the ballast resistor (white oblong box about 20mm near the coil) come adrift? If it has it will start on the key (Your: "sounds nice") but when the key is let go there is no spark. Just a thought...don't ask.

:)to be honest all i did was untightened the screw underneath the strombergs a bit more and she fired!!!, lol, just got the rest of the car to sort out now, wiring is all done, engine running, now needs full interior, got carpet set - need to fit it, need to get headlining and somehow fit it, think i could have problems there though, im 6 ft 2 so not much space to work!!

Archived