DH Dolomite 1300 engine in Spitfire

alan pettit

I have a 1300 DH prefixed engine taken out of a spitfire. i am going to get either it or the original FD prefixed MK3 Spitfire engine rebuilt for competition use. Is one better then the other to use as a base unit for rebuild or does it not matter?what about a Gk 1360 engine as Ive got one as well?
Cheers alan

FD is a small crank 1300 with cam bearings as used in Mk3 Spit.  If it is in good shape, then it is the pick of the litter.  As a starting point the for a competition engine the bottom end of a GE Herald engine is very similar (lacks cam bearings)

DH (Dolomite) and GK (late Herald) are both large crank 1300s.  Less keen to rev and more prone to bearing issues if revved.

Nick

alan petit,
I just did a search of the prefix/suffix page. and I can't tell from the information there if the DH series engine is small or large crank 1300. Oops, Nick Jones beat me to it.
I agree the FD engine is the one to use for a competition engine; much more willing to rev.
                                                                         Cheers,
                                                                         Paul

Archived