finding and fitting a better engine

Sam C

Hi all

After contemplating fitting a 2.5, then deciding not, then contemplating fitting a modern engine, then deciding not, I'm back to contemplating fitting a racy 2.0 for my GT6.

I have the ability and equipment to remove the engine and fit a replacement but I don't have the skills to improve my engine enough to get real results.

So: what's the simplest way to go about doing this? Ideally I'd like to buy an engine from a well known and reliable company with a guarantee that it's been tested and delivers 'x' bhp. Is there such a company around, ideally in the South West or not too far North? My current engine runs well and so I'd like to keep that as it is as a spare until I know the new engine is fine.

I suppose I want reliable 140ish bhp. I suspect I ought also to consider getting a better gearbox since I'm not confident mine will cope with the power - perhaps a Type 9 at the same point?

My ideal I suppose would be a crashed GT6 / Vitesse / Spit6 that had lovely well tuned and tested engine and gearbox for me to pilfer! Alternatively I'd like to go to one person for a quote to buy everything I need and then fit it all in one go: good rebuilt engine, good gearbox - bung it in over a weekend or two and off I go.

Am I being completely unrealistic? If so, then how do people go about this?

Sam

Sam_C wrote:
Hi all

I'm back to contemplating fitting a racy 2.0 for my GT6.

I have the ability and equipment to remove the engine and fit a replacement but I don't have the skills to improve my engine enough to get real results.

I suppose I want reliable 140ish bhp. I suspect I ought also to consider getting a better gearbox since I'm not confident mine will cope with the power - perhaps a Type 9 at the same point?

Steve A has done it with a standard bottom end and cam but proper exhaust , head and PI  :)

http://triumphulation.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html

Not sure if that helps but its 145bhp and all the bits are availible at a price

Archived