Engine compatabilty

Chrisspit68

Hi there
i have recently finished a full restoration of my mk3 spitfire and after 5 years it is got it's MOT in September 2010 and have been using it every day since. However, I started it on Thursday as normal and while it's warming up it cut out. I went through all the the usual and to cut a long story short the engine has sieized. I have a spare 1500 engine from a dolomite and I want to swap it with but I want to keep the 3 rail gearbox as I can't afford a single rail gearbox.

What do I need to change to fit the 1500 to the 3 rail gearbox? Any help would be greatly appriciated!  

Howard81 wrote:
You need a 7.25" clutch plate to fit the 1500 flywheel, but with 10 splines to fit the 3-rail 'box:

Couldn't he fit the 1300 flywheel to the 1500 motor? Are the crank to flywheel bolts the same size? It'd mean that the clutch was smaller than normal for a 1500, but if the clutch is in good condition it shouldn't slip.

That is what he needs to know, that way we can use the 1300 spit starter motor. The Flywheel on the 1500  engine is for a pre engaged type motor as its out of a dolly.   Chris have you got the dizzy or have I still got it.    Clutch is good enough for now  as this is only a temp solution while the 1300 is rebuilt.  

Hmmn. I'm not so sure that the 1300/1500 bolts are different spacing - but they are different diameters for sure.  The 1500 flywheel is a heavy lump compared to the 1300 one and IMO would not suit the revvy 1300 characteristics.

Re starter motors, I think that the 1500 Spits had inertia models, only the Dolly had pre-engaged so if the engine came from a Spit, the flywheel may be ok.  At least I hope so as I am using that combination at present!

What we want to do is fit the 1300 flywheel to a 1500 engine that way we can use the starter we have.  The 1500 is out of a dolly.  The gear ring is the same for all spitfires so the flywheels are the same dia. If the flywheels won't swop then we will change the gear ring.

1076 wrote:
I have a spare 1500 engine from a dolomite

Dolomite 1500 ring gear is different to Spitfire 1500, due to the different starter motor (as mentioned above).

Either use the 1300 flywheel, clutch etc you have to drill out the flywheel to take the larger diameter bolts but the PCD is the same.

or get a 'special' friction plate for fitting the 1500 flywheel, clutch, starter to the 3 rail box,  (some rewiring will be required due to the pre-engaged starter).

Canleys should sell one, not sure who else....

Richard_B wrote:

Dolomite 1500 ring gear is different to Spitfire 1500

I have a 1500 Spit with a pre engaged starter, am i to assume the flywheel/ring gear is off a dolly? Come to think of it, the engine number tallys with a dolomite.. ::)

How is the ring gear different? Anybody with pics....we like pics..!  :P

Thanks for all the repiles, i took the engine out last night and seperated the gearbox, I did have to chop off a bellhousing bolt as it was not loosening but it gave up in the end. Clutch looks in great condition and flywheel looks to have been ligtenened. Still no clue as to why the engine has seized. I will drag the 1500 out tonight and look at the flywheel situation. Have to say though this aint the weather to be swapping engines. Oh and paul i have got he dizzy, will get new rotor arm ponts etc for it.

Archived