Engine almost stalls after revving

Nilfisken

Hi,
I few days ago I came back to UK again after a months work abroad and since the sun was shining the best thing to do was to take the old girl for a spin.

When I left the car was running really well, but after having been standing for a month she has developed a new issue. When having the car in neutral gear (engine up to normal temp) she idles fine but if the engine is revved and then left to return to idle the rpm drops down to almost 500 and the engine almost stalls, then after a few seconds it climbs back to normal by itself. It runs well in traffic and everything seems just like before leaving. I have no idea what could have caused this from a one month standstill so any idea is welcome.

It's not something serious that stops me from driving but more an annoying thing I cant find the source for. One thing that might be diagnostic (?) is that the engine appears to run just a tad bit hotter (maybe half of a step on the meter) than before, and still it was not a very hot day when I made the test-drive

Cheers,
Oskar

Hi Oskar,

Interesting issue you have there.

I have something similar happen to my Spitfire when the rear carb jet is stuck open, the engine stays at 500 revs or so, runs really roughly and richening up (with choke or throttle) makes it worse, as that particular Carb is running too rich as it is.

If you check the carbs, have the jets returned back to their normal position when the engine is not running or are they slightly open?

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,
thanks for your answer! The rear choke always stick a bit since I have a slightly misaligned bracket but thats been since day one so I always start the car with the bonnet up if it is cold and after about ten to fifteen seconds of running I push the choke in to the point where it is only affecting the rev, not the fueling, and then manually push the jets back before closing the bonnet.

I'm gonna check the timing and for any obvious vacuum leaks today but otherwise I think I just drive it for a while and see how it goes, sometimes old cars fix themselves it seems ;)

Cheers

Hi,
sorry, been away for a while, thanks for your suggestions!
Turned out in the end that it was just another 'old car sorting itself out with some driving' error :)
No more issues with the drop after revving and the overheating that became worse the last days was no real issue either. After checking hoses and finding they were not that hot or pressurised I went to fill the tank up and noticed the meter was way over full. Since all meters were higher than usual I changed the voltage regulator and everything is now back to normal. Temp is between 1/2 and 3/4 which I guess is fine and oil temp in sump is around 85 degrees under normal conditions.

Now on to sorting out other small issues but all in all she's running well. Made a 150 miles run in the hot weather last weekend and got 35mpg for fairly spirited driving, seems pretty OK.

Cheers,
Oskar

Archived