Pulling engine - need advice

ericlee

I'm getting ready to pull the 1500 engine out of my '80 Spitfire to do a little sprucing up.  Originally, I was considering removing the bonnet, then pulling the engine and transmission together.  Lately, I've changed my mind and I'm gonna just pull the engine.  Question, what is the easiest way to remove the bolts from the bell housing to detach the engine from the tranny?

yeah ditto!  Unlike some other models, you have easy access to all around the bellhousing on a Spit.

An assistant to hold the other spanner will be useful, the starter motor will also have to come off.

If you struggle to access the rear of any bolts, then you have the option to take out the gearbox tunnel, but prob not necessary.

Sorry if my question was a bit vague.  Looking at the limited space between the bell housing and firewall, I thought someone might have a bit of "been there, done that" advice that might save me some time and skinned knuckles.

As for the bonnet, I was a little hesitant to remove it after reading some threads on this forum from people who have had trouble getting it lined up when they put it back on.  This is my first Spit project so I'm trying to avoid any well traveled pitfalls.  I'm what they call a "shade tree mechanic" over here in the States, but I took this car on as my long term project.  I really appreciate your feedback.

Sorry if my question was a bit vague.  Looking at the limited space between the bell housing and firewall, I thought someone might have a bit of "been there, done that" advice that might save me some time and skinned knuckles.

As for the bonnet, I was a little hesitant to remove it after reading some threads on this forum from people who have had trouble getting it lined up when they put it back on.  This is my first Spit project so I'm trying to avoid any well traveled pitfalls.  I'm what they call a "shade tree mechanic" over here in the States, but I took this car on as my long term project.  I really appreciate your feedback.

Did mine myself. Left the bonnet on. I did undo the bonnet stay so I could get it open a bit more and tied it up through the top grill to a roof rafter. There is nothing difficult as long as the engine lift can manover ok. I had to put both front wheels on a brick to get the legs of the engine hoist to clear the chassis.

If you're using a wheeled engine hoist and you leave the bonnet on, then you need plenty of room on one side of the car to wheel the hoist & engine out. If using a block & tackle from above then you need to make sure you have enough lifting height to push the car out the way once the engine is up in the air. It's generally so much easier with the bonnet removed.

Ericlee - there's plenty of room between the bellhousing and the firewall to get a 1/2" AF spanner on one side and a same sized ratchet handle/socket on the other. The lowest bolts are reached from underneath, so make sure you have enough clearance under the car to reach before you start undoing stuff.

Archived