Mk2 Spitfire Engine Upgrade

techviking

Hi, I have Just Bought a mk2 spitfire for my first car!!!!! however the engine is looking costly to repairs so i was wondering is it possible to swap out a mk2 engine & gearbox to a 1500 engine and gearbox, i know its a little sacrilegious but i need it working soon. any help, advice or if anyone has 1500 engine and gearbox for sale, i would be most grateful for a response.

Thanks

Oliver

The Mk2 will have the earlier diff with thin output shafts. The design was uprated shortly after the introduction of the Mk3, thicker shafts to handle the increased torque of the 1300 engine. Broken output shafts are common (inevitable?) when the early diff is matched to one of the lalrger engines.
As well as being fragile, the 4.11 ratio of the Mk2 diff is going to be rather low geared for the 1500, which was matched to a 3.63:1 ratio from the factory,

Cheers,
Bill.

Oliver,
Along with the things Bill has mentioned the flange at the front of the differential is of a different bolt pattern to that of a 1500 propeller shaft. I also think the length of the propeller shaft differs. If you gain overdrive you also need the wiring and the gearbox mounting plates. If both are overdrive or both lack overdrive then that isn't a worry.
Still the 1500 engine is probably the most readily available, and there aren't any difficulties that make the change an unwise thing to attempt.
                                                                             Cheers,
                                                                             Paul

Engine with carbs, distributor and manifolds to match, exhaust system. The clutch (hopefully already fitted to the engine) will need to be matched to the appropriate slave cylinder and release arm.
That's all the absolute necessities to fit a 1300, though I'd advise a large-shaft diff as mentioned previously. Get one from a Herald 13/60 (plentiful) and the ratio and all the flanges will match what you've already got, just a bit stronger.

Of course you could go to an overdrive gearbox as well, which is an excellent idea, but that subject has it's own questions to be asked!

Cheers,
Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

gearbox is identical, so swap away. I take it you have the prop for the overdrive and all the bits and bobs too??

MK3 engine? obvious place to start is a tubular manifold (the MK2 wont fit) with sports exhaust, free flowing air filters and a decent tune (it will need different needles in the carbs)
That's for starters......after that it gets a bit more involved, heads, cams and so on.

cliftyhanger wrote:
gearbox is identical, so swap away. I take it you have the prop for the overdrive and all the bits and bobs too??

MK3 engine? obvious place to start is a tubular manifold (the MK2 wont fit) with sports exhaust, free flowing air filters and a decent tune (it will need different needles in the carbs)
That's for starters......after that it gets a bit more involved, heads, cams and so on.

Yes I think I have all the bits so will prob end up fitting the OD I want to keep the 1300 in the mark 3 and not swap it for a different one alltogether and that way I can keep the Mk2 endgine for another day with the mark 2 chasis i have long story cut short i borught what i thought was a mk3 car to help my mk3 restoration and it turned out to be a Mk2!

Archived