Spitfire engine lumps

MK3

It seems a number of guys replace the Spitfire engine with the 2000 engine from the Vitesse, Saloon or GT6, and the 2500 engine has also been used, presumably the 2500 being the most powerful followed by the GT6 engine ? I assume these are taller engines once installed and therefore need to use a GT6 bonnet / scoop.

What other increased capacity/bhp engines have been / could be fitted to a Spitfire and still be able to keep the Spitfire bonnet ?

4277 wrote:
I assume these are taller engines once installed and therefore need to use a GT6 bonnet / scoop?

If mounted in the same way as in the GT6 then yes, a bonnet with a bulge is required. It is possible to mount the six cylinder engines further back, which would allow the original bonnet to be kept, but involves chopping into bulkhead and other mods.

4277 wrote:
What other increased capacity/bhp engines have been / could be fitted to a Spitfire and still be able to keep the Spitfire bonnet ?

Ford Zetec
Triumph slant 4 (dolly sprint) has been done.
I'm sure there are others

I am building (AS i TYPE/TAKE A TEA BREAK) another Zetec powered spitfire (having JUST found the rear suspension bushes that had been stored in a safe place, took 2hrs to find :'( )
Others have fitted Dolly sprint, vauxhall redtop, rover V8, nissen 200SX, Fiat twin cam, pinto, K series, cossie YB,  even MBG 1800. Plus lots of V8's done in the states. I should add somebody was putting a volvo T5 in, not as straightforward. Plus many others I have forgotten about!

It all depends on skills/abilities and so on. None are just as "nuts and bolts" like fitting the 6 cylinder. Welding/fabricating is a must!

cliftyhanger wrote:
I am building (AS i TYPE/TAKE A TEA BREAK) another Zetec powered spitfire

Sounds like you prefer the Zetec engine conversion, I suppose there's lots of them around and many bhp variants.

Any photos of an installation ?

Archived