GT6 Mk3 Engine cuts out

andytr6

My GT6 Mk3 with 2.5 engine + new electronic dizzy +coil + leads + plugs + cleaned fuel tank + new fuel pump + new fuel pipes has a habit of dying on me after warm ie choke fully in engine warm come to junction revs slow then dies completely.  Restarts OK but continues to die every time I stop.  Runs fine in motion/ accelerating.  Any ideas?

Well checked them at weekend and front 3 seemed rich but rear could be lean - adjusted front leaner because I thought the rear plugs looked better which has made it maybe worse, so you could be right.  I'll try to richen up both and see what happens.
Thanks

I had this issue on on my 2.5 S HS6 carb GT6, it was due to excess crank case pressure, try letting the cam cover breath to air and see if it stops doing it, if thats the problem, get an oil catch tank, this was with a heavilly modified 2.5 pi engine on HS6 carbs! the engine would not run with the breather attached, it took me weeks to resolve it!

1700 wrote:
I had this issue on on my 2.5 S HS6 carb GT6, it was due to excess crank case pressure, try letting the cam cover breath to air and see if it stops doing it, if thats the problem, get an oil catch tank, this was with a heavilly modified 2.5 pi engine on HS6 carbs! the engine would not run with the breather attached, it took me weeks to resolve it!

This can be caused by a high petrol content in the oil, the fumes going through the breather system and richening the mix too much at idle.

Nick

Tonight I'm going to see a friends GT6 who has the same problem. Only as an extra bonus you can't get it running again once it has died. It needs cooling down first. It's a US-spec mk3 with twin chokes and lots of extra emission nonsense attached to the carbs. After my previous inspection I suspect the (worn) carbs to be the problem so we'll swap them for a EU-spec set. Disconnecting crank breather could be a useful hint.

GTRoger wrote:
Tonight I'm going to see a friends GT6 who has the same problem. Only as an extra bonus you can't get it running again once it has died. It needs cooling down first. It's a US-spec mk3 with twin chokes and lots of extra emission nonsense attached to the carbs.

Replace the points first before tearing into the carbs.  I've had some poor quality points that caused that exact behavior.

Just back from our spannering session. Changed the carbs and the car is all fine now. The original US spec carbs do need overhauling although I think it's better to convert to EU-spec as there are less bits that can go wrong. Who needs emission control and fuel return stuff as it works just as well (or even better) without.  :)

Archived