1500 Dolomite engine in a spitfire

bob dunn

Yes - a standard MkIII 1300 cam will fit in a dolly engine, however as you say it will need bearings fitting, which I would assume means you would want to get the block line bored to ensure correct fitting.

The point that Tim is making is that Canleys also supply a MkIII cam with LARGE journals, that would mean no modifications would be needed as it would run directly in the block.

The 1500 Dolomite twin carb engine, is the same as a 1500 Spitfire in terms of cam and power. You have to swap the sump over though.

The MkIII cam bearings are a press fit. Usually done in an hydrualic press. I'd go Phil's suggested route and fit a CC MkIII cam (large journals) and then sell yours on.

The 1500 is a bit prone to bigend problems, worth fitting an oil cooler.

Thanks to all ,I was told that the engine i am to recieve was from a 1500 spitfire but the engine number checks out as dolly , I didn,t get the engine yet ,so more info anon . I want to fit a 1300 cam and flywheel so i,m trying to research how to keep the torque of the 1500 if poss .  

Bob, the MkIII cam will only increase the power and torque of the 1500, basically a win win situation. Flywheel ain't gonna change anything either, you should be cool for keeping the characteristics of the 1500.

Sounds like you may need a sump pan though, allthough Aaron seems to have gotten away with it! Ignorance of youth is fine thing, I must say! A taller diff would benefit you , however if you can't find a replacement in time your current diff will still work, just expect to be surprising the odd bmw/merc/audi etc etc when setting off from the lights ;)

Basically, very little difference between the later engines from what I understand, other than what vehicle they have come from. Spitfire/Dolomite/1500/etc, same engine :)

Archived