Has my engine shrunk?

Mik

Here's a puzzle.

Today I refitted the engine in my race spitfire. At least I tried to. The engine hasn't been touched since it came out but the chassis and body have been rebuilt. The engine appears now to be an inch narrower than the gap between the mountings on the suspension turrets!

I've measured various dimensions but so far I'm unable to see anything wrong with the relationship between the turrets and the chassis. In fact I can't see anything wrong at all except that the engine no longer fits.

Have a look on my blog for some pictures (http://blog.friendlydragon.co.uk/). Either there's something seriously wrong or I'm missing something obvious (which wouldn't be the first time!  :) )

Answers on a postcard please (or preferably just post them here or leave a comment on my blog).

Not been mixing up GT6 and 1500 turrets have ya? That'd cause interesting problems right enough.
(I don't mind asking a silly question, see?)

Course you can always slip a 2 litre in there while you're about it if you have. :)

Thanks Smithy. I've been searching to try and find out whether the six cylinder cars were different to the four cylinder ones. Found plenty of people saying "they're different" but your illustration is the first one I've seen that actually shows how they differ!

And this also illustrates why there are no silly questions :)

So it appears I have a GT6 left hand turret and a Spitfire right hand one. I'll try and have a look at another car to check. It's not obvious which side is wrong though. It doesn't immediately make sense to make the gap between the turrets narrower by fitting turrets with the mountings further apart :-/. I can see how it might work though.

I've just been in the garage and the mounting face of the left side is definitely longer than that on the right. It's a slightly different shape too.

Oh and I don't need a 2 litre lump sitting up the front of my car :) This one is quite heavy enough already thanks!

Mik - well well huh? Stranger things have happened mind.
BTW if there really are no silly questions then can you lend me £50,000 to be paid back in ten years at 0% interest, please?
(No harm in trying. There's a new car I like the look of).

Mik,

I've got a pair of spitfire engine turrets sitting in my garage.  I'm clearing out all the bits I no longer need as I need all the space I can get (very small garage).

They are yours for free if it helps you out of a spot.  I live in Bishops Stortford, sadly a treck from Bradford.  Let me know.

Cheers, Andy.  

Archived