Engine Numbers and Identity crisis!

Spitfire74

So my Spitfire was made in 1973 and first registered in 1974. It was a Mk4 with an engine number prefix FH. This engine number and 1296cc capacity still appears on the V5 and I have never thought to actually double check this. However I've always thought it a little odd that at some point in my car's life it has had the Mk4 badges removed and 1500 stickers placed on the bonnet and boot.

For whatever reason curiosity got the better of me today and I decided to check the engine number. After rubbing away a few layers of grime I was surprised to find a number with an FM prefix...clearly a 1496cc, 1500 engine!! Should I now contact the DVLA and ask them to change my V5, I feel like I should!

I also now can't decide on a couple of things,

a.) What is my car!? Is it still a Mk4 with a 1500 engine (should I replace the Mk4 badges). Or is it a 1500 and should I leave the 1500 stickers!?

b.) Is there any way of tracking down the original engine!? Is there also any way of finding out what car my engine came out of...other than a heritage certificate from Gaydon (I have one for my car already and they aren't cheap!)

c.) Should I replace the engine with a Mk4 engine!?

Several questions before thinking about yours!

1) Which gearbox do you have? Is reverse on the left or the right?

2) Does the commission number (left side of bulkhead) agree with the V5?

3) What diff ratio have you got?

In my experience, trying to update engine details on the V5 can be tricky - the DVLA just don't bother. Admittedly the last few times I tried it was while getting something else updated, too, such as my address or the tax class. If you send it to them with ONLY the engine details changed they may, possibly, do something about it.

The people you do need to tell are your insurers. Find out what difference it makes to your premium.

Hi Rob

1.) Reverse is on the RHS of the gearstick and I have Overdrive

2.) Commission number on the bulkhead (RHS drivers side for me) matches. I have no body number anywhere but the original paint code on the commission plate is correct for my car (mimosa yellow, and there is evidence of this on the interior of the doors and behind the dashboard at least)

3.) When I had to replace the rear diff I sent it off to Fitchetts, they sent me a replacement 3.89:1 as a one for one. So short answer is, I have a 3.89:1!

OK, so you have a 1500 gearbox as well but a Mk4 diff. It's probably been upgraded at some point in its past, and likely had some bodywork done but retaining the original colour. Can you see evidence of the badges having been removed, or does it look more like the bonnet and boot lid were replaced?

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters whether you leave it as is, convert it fully to 1500 spec with a diff swap, or put it back to 1300 engine, 3-rail box and Mk4 badges, though I'd suggest the last option is the most effort for least benefit. As you've already replaced the diff I'd leave it as is, if it were mine.

Ah right glad to know I have the correct gearbox for the engine then. Is that an issue having the wrong diff? 

On the inside of the bonnet there are two distinct lumps at the right distance for the badge pins but I can't see any evidence on the rear wings. 

I wouldn't bother trying to get the V5 updated at the moment with c'virus going on. A mate of mine sometimes temps at the DVLA and reckons out of maybe 100 staff on the floor who usually deal with V5s only around 15 are at their desks, isolation and social distancing have seen to the rest. Work is piling up as you can imagine!