Tr7 sloppy heater controls

Matt306

From my recollection its held in place by only friction. The heater operating lever rotates on a splined shaft which clamps against the heater black metal support which is shown in the first of Bean's photos. I had to take it all apart for other reasons and had to carefully compress lever onto the fully assembled shaft assembly using a small G clamp to squeeze it back together and stop it from flopping around - just try not to disturb the rod that goes to the flap actuator cam (Top rod in 1st photo) as its a s*d to adjust correctly when its installed.... I found this out the hard way!

Cheers

Howard

11 hours ago, Beans said:

287402215_2018-08-19_01Opbouwenkachel.thumb.jpg.391a5798ca8e88501355746438a2d6f1.jpg

(I know nothing about these cars... however) These white plastic parts top right look very much like sprung pawls that the extruded part of the bare aluminium lever engage with to give you a far left and far right ‘click’. If these white parts were worn, or rotating freely around the spindle they sit on - which might be sprung - I reckon you’d experience the problem you’re having. 

Ben,

They don't click but adjusting this linkage correctly (wire rod is clamped in place by the small nut visible on the extruded aluminium lever) is almost impossible unless everything around is taken out to allow access - instrument cluster, ventilation duct & cable looms.  If you get the adjustment slightly wrong the mechanism white plastic follower comes off the end of the aluminium lever & locks the flap in the fully open position. To make it worse this is not easy to verify until it is all fully reassembled and road tested since the vibrations cause a few mm of additional movement. I found this out the hard way.

Cheers

Howard

• Thanks 1

The top lever controlling fan speed is all good, that operates the pawl at the top. I too used the G clamp method to get the bits together, i think they came loose as the flaps were siezed. The far right lever which operates the up down flow of air is the problem it goes up and down but wont hold in place.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Great pictures, I am just in the process of rebuilding my heater box.  The right hand lever is for the car/screen distribution and found that mine wouldn't hold in position because the flap hinge on the pipe side of the unit had rusted into oblivion and so the flaps to change from the car to the screen wouldn't move. 

I have had to rebuild the section where the flap hinges are located, which required the complete take down of the whole unit. I haven't put it back together yet as am waiting for the paint to dry and for my local radiator man to check the heater core and braize some pipe tails onto it (if the core is buggered, I will have to get a new matrix from Rimmers or Robsport). That will mean a couple of weeks wait while it gets shipped to NZ.

I was wondering how the controls on the main air intake flap worked, as my aluminium lever had managed to get past the plastic thingy and left the flap flopping in the breeze. Will have to check the tolerances on these when I put it back together.

Cheers

Doug