Sound Deadening – Dynamat / Felt alternative

Ben Hutchings

I'm always looking for a DIY alternative, and have an aversion to marketing spiel, so when it comes to looking for sounds deadening to replace the felt in some parts of my GT6 boot, I'm not sure I want to spend Dynamat money.

It seems to me that another aluminium-backed bitumen/butyl sheet material is roof flashing, like this. Same thickness give or take .5mm and working in 225mm strips seems manageable, and possibly even an advantage. Unless my maths is way off, I think it's 5 times cheaper.

Can anyone think of a good reason not to use it? I'm willing to be convinced otherwise 🙂

Having just paid silly money for some Dynamat 'dynaliner' I was most unimpressed when opening the box - it just looks like some flimsy foam. Hopefully looks are deceptive but I wish I'd saved my money and tried something cheaper.

I say give that stuff a try, nothing to lose. BTW I'm going to cut my dynaliner into strips anyway, it's for inside the tunnel cover so a big sheet would be awkward. 

• 3 months later...

I’m also considering Dynamat, however it seems a little over priced and I’m not a fan of their logo being plastered everywhere on the material. Yes, I understand it’s hidden behind panels or carpet, but have a preference for plain black. After some research I found a local product (sorry think shipping to UK would be pricey), in plain black for a little cheaper. Long story short, try looking around for alternatives, there is another product made in Australia. I  suspect many companies are outsourcing production and applying their brand to a very similar butyl product. 

I plain to be strategic in application, some people cover entire floor pans, which is not required for an effective deadening barrier. I also don’t want it in any locations that cannot be adhered perfectly, or where I suspect water ingress could occur over time between the butyl and the steel. It’s hard to remove too. I would love to apply to the internal door panels, but unfortunately my car has uneven rust protection - hard to apply smoothly. 

@Ben Hutchings Think it’s a fantastic idea to apply a butyl product to the boot surface in a GT6, to improve cabin acoustics, by dulling the reverb from the sheet metal. If you have a carpet, mat or similar, have you thought to sew an acoustic barrier beneath? This will also dull another frequency of noise. Have you done the doors? 

The methods modern cars use to reduce road noise is quite fascinating. It’s becoming a big topic as cars move to electric, more cabin noise is apparent. BMW etc use different foams to absorb different frequencies and mics to discover sounds, rubber to isolate noisey components etc. Wheel arch material to reduce tyre noise etc.

A bit far for a classic car, but I think good science and techniques for ideas. Cost effective methods for reducing cabin noise is always a win for the driving experience.

Sorry don’t want to bore people, but a good area to find products and techniques is within the car audio space, you might not want to build a monster sound system - but the same techniques apply. This chap goes to great lengths to reduce rattles etc. I would caution, always wise to think long term serviceability.