It lives!

Ian Perry

Well, the Spitzenfeuer went off for its MoT a month ago, and came back looking a bit shamefaced with a split rack gaiter, knackered wiper blades and a small rust hole. But redemption came ten days ago, so the wee blue car is now road legal!

I've done a quick blast up and down the main road so far but not done more than that, hopefully over the next couple of weekends I can start doing some actual driving around to get some miles under its belt and see if anything falls off.

And also see if Anthony can fit in...  

• Like 2

😄 definitely! Anthony and I will be out next weekend, but I might take it out tomorrow too. I was supposed to be working (I am a freelance cricket scorer - yes, such things do exist!) but the match in question has fallen through. It was to be The Brigade of Guards CC v Harrow old boys, but I suspect most players of both sides will be at Lord's tomorrow getting ver' ver' drunk old boy... 

so it's a toss-up between trying to blag a game playing for my local club or taking the Spitz out. Tough choice!

And of course I took the Spitz out.

Now wondering what we've let ourselves in for, with the RBRR. I haven't had time to do the overdrive conversion so the car is a bit under-geared for motorway cruising, and it's noisy and cramped. Feels more like my occasional drives in a FF1600 single-seater in years gone past.

But the engine feels quite healthy and pulls well, and nothing has fallen off yet after about 50 miles...

You might miss the OD on the run north on the first night before branching off the a1m and the run back down on the second day south of Sterling... but most of the rest of the run isn't at speeds where you'd miss it.

RBRR in a Spitfire is hardcore! First time RBRR in the Spitfire?

Edited by yorkshire_spam

Hi Yorks - yes, first time in a Spitz. I've done it x3.5 in Toledos and Dolomites (the 0.5 was last time, it ended near Carlisle with no.3 conrod bent into an interesting shape and most of the big end cap in the oily sludge at the bottom of the sump)...

Yes, hardcore is a good word. The car is a lot of fun at the moment, but not exactly restful. It's got a targa top (made from a ratty hardtop) on it, but I'm waiting for a full GRP hardtop to turn up, a friend is supposed to be collecting it for me from south Wales... I hope that would make it quieter at least 😉

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

Yes, for me, too, although it's the fourth time that car's been entered, it's just always been substituted at the last minute before. For the GT6, of course, in which I've now done five.

Not that much difference in terms of driving position, internal space or comfort! 🙂

2 hours ago, Ian Perry said:

Not that much difference in terms of driving position, internal space or comfort! 🙂

The only obvious difference is that the GT6 has recliner seats. I contemplated swapping the passenger one for the RBRR but I haven't finished refurbing the GT6's one yet and it has no base.

I did the last one in my mk3 Spit with no overdrive... which explains why i've been struggling to get the OD conversion done this summer!

It really wasn't that bad, the engine sings at 4500rpm for hours, loud enough to keep you awake! A reclining passenger seat is definitely recommended, and good earplugs are essential.

I've got a spare driver's side recliner (1500) seat but it probably needs new foams. I only bothered refurbing passenger side.