Home made rust remover gel (very cheap and appears very effective)

Dave Clasper

I heard folk were using this in the States, so thought I would give it a go. I have only tried it once recently, on a wheel arch lip that had an area of paint that flaked off, exposing fairly engrained surface rust. Mixed a small amount of WP and added about a third again of CA powder. Applied it about 2mm thick. Covered it in cling film to stop it drying out and left overnight. No wire brush at the time, though just wipped off with a damp sponge. Was surprised at how it had removed all the rust!, just really clean metal. I assume works better on a warm day, like all acids and more CA in the mix should be more effective.

I have heard of it bieng mixed with water and smaller parts bieng dipped, using a brewing heater or fish tank heater to sperd up.

Only tried it the once so far, though seems to be more effective than the bought acid gels I have used and didn't dry out as soon, also far cheaper.

Bought a 250g of CA off ebay for about £3 delivered

• Like 5