Triumph Spitfire/GT6 weight list

BiTurbo228

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Anyone know the weight of an Impreza diff?

Yep weighed one that I got off eBay as part of stockpiling for future projects.

Subaru R160 (the one without flanges): 26kg

If you're weighing up for a conversion you'll need a modified backplate and a bracket to fit between the diff and chassis at the front end (oh, and another bracket to attach the leaf spring to). All of which I don't have...

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Yeah, I know it's not a case of just sticking the Scooby diff in, but I'm thinking for the Herald-ish thing I'm building up it's the way I'm likely to go as a Subaru diff with an LSD is much cheaper than a rebuilt Triumph diff with an LSD in.

Definitely. Apparently the difficulty with that is finding a Scooby diff with an LSD in it. I've read around about people buying up diffs that were advertised as LSDs that turned out to be open when they got them. Def ask for a picture of the internals before sending your hard-earned to anyone...

Also, most have viscous LSDs (which IIRC only work with one driveshaft longer than the other, although I don't know where I pulled that piece of information from). However, my favourite people at Quaife have a torsen LSD listed for a 2000 Subaru Impreza which is an R160.

Will be interesting to know whether I'm right or wrong with the viscous driveshaft length thing...

When you do come to swap one in, make sure you post up how you sorted the rear plate/mounting bracket. There's a chap in Aus who made up a batch of alloy rear plates with the Triumph mounting brackets cast in but I think they're all sold.

I was thinking that I've got some 3mm plate, a hammer and a welder and that with those tools you can make most things

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
I'll probably model something up in CAD, then get a rapid prototype mould made so I can cast a back plate and then get it machined... Or possibly do as you say and make it out of 3mm still plate welded up - can do it super-sexy too with my tig welder haha.

Nice i've got to start playing with my tig welder so i can extend my inlet trumpets. I'm doing tuned length ones either 15mm longer or 290mm longer to get different resonances.

Might be tricky to get the 290mm ones in the engine bay though...

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Won't that work on a 'centre-line' principle, so, although not ideal maybe, it'd mean you could curve them like some of the old BMW intake manifolds etc.

Yeah I was thinking of bending a tube up. Clearance on the inner wheelarch would be marginal I was thinking, especially with a filter.

Can't do any of that til I lower my PI inlets though. Need to make them level so the injectors clear the bonnet.

Oh, and weld on some bonnet mounts because I wasn't a fan of the stock ones...

• 1 month later...

Quoted from John Bonnett
A few more weights for the records;

GT6 glass rear window 5.9kg
Door drop glass 2.9kg ea
Winder mechanism 1.2kg ea
Bare door 9.5kg

The other parts comprising the drop glass control are not to hand but I'll add them in due course along with the weights of the polycarbonate windows when I have them

Brill thankyou that should also allow me to guess how much a fibreglass door shell should weigh (money's on 4kg each)...

• 2 weeks later...

Quoted from Casper
Diff weight/dimensions at [Sorry, link no longer available]

Excellent thanks

FYI here's the info:

Quoted from oldbury863
Hi, just checked mine:-
length = 340mm
width = 400mm with front mounting plate, 265mm without.
height = 200mm
weight = 23.6kg with oil.
Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, £160 later and I've got myself a set of fibreglass doors.

Can't say I'm overly chuffed however. Weighed one and it came in at 9.6kg complete with hinges, door handles, external latch thingy and 2.5 sheets of sound deadening.

Considering that earlier in this thread we ascertained that a bare steel door shell is 9.5kg that's not quite the weight saving I was hoping for.

At work at the moment so I can't strip it and find out what the shell alone weighs, but hinges are 400 grams, and the latch plus doorhandle should be about a kilo combined (maybe).

That leaves a total weight saving of roughly 2kg per door.

I'll have another look tonight to see if the doors are bulletproof-thickness fibreglass...

Hmmm, getting confused now. Bob Dunn says here that 'standard doors are approx. 17.45kg' but not certain whether that's Vitesse or Spit doors...

[Sorry, link no longer available]

Also, something my google-fu is failing me on. JohnD's Silverback & Son thereof...Spitfire or Vitesse?

Try and find Boyse's Aston Martin Silouette car, that is a carbon kevlar bodied car, looks like a normal Aston, but I remember seeing some trick hinges and latches. Lots of Billet aluminium, which would save weight a lot, could always make some hinges up with aluminium plate and a bolt for a pin etc.

JohnD's cars are all vaguely Vitesse type cars, not Spitfire.

Quoted from John Bonnett
John Ds car was/is a Vitesse.

I have two stripped down GT6 doors. Would you like the weight? I also have the windows and regulators all out on the bench. Just let me know.

I also have two GT6 Mk2 doors, off the car and in a fully built up state....I'll post the weight here soon

Quoted from John Bonnett
John Ds car was/is a Vitesse.

I have two stripped down GT6 doors. Would you like the weight? I also have the windows and regulators all out on the bench. Just let me know.

Gotcha. There goes the hope that I'd save ~9kg per door!

If you have a spare moment that would be very helpful

Quoted from BiTurbo228

Gotcha. There goes the hope that I'd save ~9kg per door!

If you have a spare moment that would be very helpful

I certainly can but chunky63 has kindly offered to weigh a built up door. Would that be better for you or would you still like the weight of a bare door. It's no trouble.

Quoted from John Bonnett

I certainly can but chunky63 has kindly offered to weigh a built up door. Would that be better for you or would you still like the weight of a bare door. It's no trouble.

I'd completely missed that! Too close to the end of the working day

Quoted from chunky63

I also have two GT6 Mk2 doors, off the car and in a fully built up state....I'll post the weight here soon

If you could that would be fantastically helpful despite having two Spitfires in bits I don't have those particular bits anwhere near the state they need to be in...

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Try and find Boyse's Aston Martin Silouette car, that is a carbon kevlar bodied car, looks like a normal Aston, but I remember seeing some trick hinges and latches. Lots of Billet aluminium, which would save weight a lot, could always make some hinges up with aluminium plate and a bolt for a pin etc.

JohnD's cars are all vaguely Vitesse type cars, not Spitfire.

Very interesting. I like the idea of ally plate for hinges. Would give me motivation to try the TIG welder again...

No help to you, except as a target, especially as Vitesse doors are bigger, but my GRP ones weighed 5kgs, with furniture (OE hinges and locks) but no glass or plastic windows - they were hung on the screen surround.
That weight was achieved by the inner shell - complete, no cutouts - being a single thickness of random matt, with some reinforcements for the hinges and lock, and the skin being a half thickness random matt (you can tease the two surfaces apart) with a layer of GRP tissue on the surface.    The result was rigid, but the skin was like a sheet of stiff paper, so I stiffened it with an inner layer of  paper honeycomb, with another layer of tissue inside that.  Still came in at 5Kgs.

John

Quoted from chunky63
Complete GT6 Mk2 door with all the trim, glass, quarterlight, handles and hinges = 22kg

Standard GT6 4-1/2J steel wheel (no tyre) = 6.3kg

Thanks now that's more like it.

So four a built up fibreglass door we've got door + handles and hinges = 9.6kg.
Door glass = 3kg
Winder mechanism = 1.2kg
Trim = 1kg?

So that's 22kg +/- extra weight for the quarterlight vs 14.8kg for fibreglass. Much better!

Now I don't feel nearly so bad shelling out for them

Quoted from chunky63
Complete GT6 Mk2 door with all the trim, glass, quarterlight, handles and hinges = 22kg

Standard GT6 4-1/2J steel wheel (no tyre) = 6.3kg

Minilite 13 x 4.5J without tyre 5.4kg

Lexan side window 750grms std glass window 2.9kg

Lexan tailgate window 2.5kg std glass window 5.9kg