Triumph Car Dealers

Dan16v

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but I spent an interesting afternoon looking at the build archives at the Heritage Motor Center and tracked down the shipping slip and build slip for my GT6.

The dealer is listed as Carrs Auto Sales LTD Croydon, I can find a little bit of info on the net that they were a big Triumph dealer back in the day and an address that doesn’t exist today (2 standard house, south End, Croydon)

But I can’t seem to find much else, does anyone have any info?  Some pictures of the dealer’s stickers would be a great addition to add to the car.

Dan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from vitessesteve
According to http://www.companieslist.co.uk/00424966-carrs-auto-sales-limited a company with that name is trading.  However company names change over time and registered address does not equal place where business actually trades.

I did see that, but checking your link again the company director is listed in old Coulsdon, which is strangely the same town that the first owner of my GT6 came from, so it must be the same one.

I think they must have been fairly big, the engine inmy car is not the orginal one and I managed to track the car the engine came from and it went to the same dealer almost a year later

Frank Carr of Carrs Auto Sales Croydon was a well known Triumph Dealer back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  He was well known to Triumph top brass and as we all know the the Herald was named after the boat the Alec Dick owned at the time, well it was Frank Carr who sold him the boat!  I'm not sure whether Frank is still Alive, if he is, he'd be terribly old now.  On another subject I know someone who worked for Jack Brabham in the early 1960s..........

Mark

Quoted from Stu 1986
I didn't know that you could go through their archive, I'll have to see if I can get there at some point to have a look myself. I'm quite curious about the supplying dealer for my car and when it was built.

you have to book before hand, but they will let you search through the old microfiche scans for your car, you can find the shipping document and the build slip, its a lot more interesting than just seeing it written on a heritage certificate.  They are closing for refurb from the end of the month till feb though.

Quoted from Mark Hammond
Frank Carr of Carrs Auto Sales Croydon was a well known Triumph Dealer back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  He was well known to Triumph top brass and as we all know the the Herald was named after the boat the Alec Dick owned at the time, well it was Frank Carr who sold him the boat!  I'm not sure whether Frank is still Alive, if he is, he'd be terribly old now.  On another subject I know someone who worked for Jack Brabham in the early 1960s..........

Mark

thanks Mark, I got an email back from a garage a few doors along from where they were with the info below, it would be great if some photos existed

Yes Carrs were a Triumph dealer next door to us. Superb prewar style showroom, parquet wood flooring, red carpets between the vehicles and unusually the showroom had “Concave “ glass windows so that you could view the vehicles without reflections. Salesmen wore three piece suits and were terribly deferential in a most charming manner.

They had a small three pump petrol forecourt National Benzol I think.

They later became Fiat dealer however the site was sold for development during the late 70s or possibly early 80s.

Companies house the official government site: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/search/officers?#q=Carrs%20Auto%20Sales%20LTD shows that several Carrs are still involved with the business as directors and lists their home addresses.

I can not see Frank Carr amongst the directors now.

The company now using the name was started in 1946

Quoted from Dan16v

They later became Fiat dealer however the site was sold for development during the late 70s or possibly early 80s.

That's probably where it all started going wrong! 😀

I doubt I'll get anywhere near the Heritage centre for some time, I'll get there one day though and finally get the answers to some questions I've been wondering about for 10 years!  

Think the Croydon site became part of the A23 gyratory system at the south end of Purley Way.

Had two local Triumph dealerships, one at Staines Road West, Ashford, Middlesex and the other being Dobsons, London Road, Staines. These were both BL dealerships and I remember cycling their to ask for brochures. The salesman at Dobsons, gave me a pack of 30 Range Rover brochures, all from 1972, excellent eh!

Quoted from timbancroft61
Think the Croydon site became part of the A23 gyratory system at the south end of Purley Way.

Had two local Triumph dealerships, one at Staines Road West, Ashford, Middlesex and the other being Dobsons, London Road, Staines. These were both BL dealerships and I remember cycling their to ask for brochures. The salesman at Dobsons, gave me a pack of 30 Range Rover brochures, all from 1972, excellent eh!

I don't think its as far up as the A23, it was just at the end of South End road, where it looks like a bit office building has been built on the corner.

Im not managing to find much info on it though

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quoted from garyf
Marvellous! 🙂

Is the Light Car Company of Derby Listed Steve?

Yes they are listed with a star against the name so they were a distributor.

The Light Car Co. Ltd., Derwent Street. phone 40584/42293

Also listed
Allen C H & Sons Ltd 29 Duffield Road

I lived Allestree a while ago so was interested to that Rally Motors Service Station, Blenheim Drive are also listed as a dealer. The business is still there.

I have recently bought a copy of the "Triumph Sales and Service Directory" for 1968/9 which for Croydon shows.

Carrs Auto Sales Ltd, Standard House, 2 South End, Croydon as a distributor
Carrs Aoto Services Ltd Tamworth Road Service Station, Tamworth Road, as a dealer
+ Beddington Lane SS, Beddington Lane, as a dealer

I thought they would be

It was a Kenning's Garage in the 80's, I remember getting service parts for my Stag from there.

It was all demolished several years ago, there is a used Car Lot on the space now

The other two you mention I've never heard of before?