So, any cars still in build stage?

1 hour ago, Ian Perry said:

so we've taken the difficult and very sad decision to withdraw

Oh noes! What a shame! No alternative vehicles available?

Actually, this year, for the first time in the four RBRRs for which my Spitfire has been entered, I don't currently have a usable alternative vehicle. So I suppose I could say that the trusty fall-back GT6 is "still in build stage" but hopefully the Spitfire will actually not need to be substituted this time.

14 hours ago, Ian Perry said:

so we've taken the difficult and very sad decision to withdraw 😞

That's a shame. You're sure the problems are insurmountable? There's still a good few weeks left! I was considering giving up a few days ago, after another 6 hour evening session in the garage. But then sometimes things come together quickly

A few people may be rebuilding their cars, so I decided to find a different challenge. Something went wrong during a pre-MOT brake check and I ended up thrown into a hedge & ditch at 50MPH. It wouldn't have been terminal, but the ditch ended suddenly and spun the car 270degrees around its nearside front wheel distorting the monocoque bodyshell. 

Anyone got a decent TR7 going cheap?

Cheers

Howard

IMG_4207.JPG

Bonnet alignment.jpg

Boot alignment.jpg

Thanks for the expressions of concern - the car kept me totally safe aside from a few bruises & a few suitable swearwords immediately after the accident. Its not confirmed but the monocoque appears to have been bent so sadly a write off IMHO, but insurance company have to make a final decision.

Cheers

Howard

On 22/08/2021 at 10:13, PeteStupps said:

That's a shame. But better to make a clear-eyed decision now rather than kid yourself for another month. Hmmm that's food for thought! 

Thanks, Pete - on the odd occasion when I've had to pull out of something, I try to convince myself that it's done for sound, objective reasons - but it still hurts. 

4 hours ago, Ian Perry said:

Howard, so, so sorry to see this, but very glad you physically are ok. Depending how much damage and where, fingers crossed the mono is salvageable (can you get a replacement chassis leg, or is it more widespread than that?)

The insurance company inspector is coming tomorrow, but I think he will concur that the Mono is not economically salvageable - technically it is possible but would need a proper jig to straighten the car and a complete strip down & some of the necessary panels are not available.

On 21/08/2021 at 22:20, Ian Perry said:

No alternative vehicles, sadly. I don't imagine the organisers would be particularly impressed at my entering in my only other car - a 2012 Skoda Fabia estate! 

6 weeks to go 3 years ago, none of the 3 of us had a working suitable (as in 4 seats) car, so we went and bought one blind at the auctions.

Had to take gearbox and diff out to fix the cross shaft pin and a very leaky input seal and noisy bearing, and do a bit if rewiring. And fit better seats, and reseal winscreen, and get better tyres.....

So you have plenty of time... 🙂

Well in the last few months I’ve replaced the overdrive and just this week replaced the rotoflexes and bearings along with radius arm brackets on my GT6.  Wasn’t planning on doing this.  Hope I’ve got the shimming right and the hubs don’t seize up mid run…. Putting some miles on it now….

it always comes round quicker than you think.  On my first RBRR tr4 engine rebuild finished about a week prior to event!  Not ideal…

9 hours ago, Horace said:

Putting some miles on it now….

Where's the fun in that? Back in 2002 my GT6 had been off the road (having major bodywork done) then needed the carbs rebuilt to make it run, then failed the MOT on seized brake calipers, then... In short, the 70 mile trip from home to the then start line was the furthest it had driven in four years.