So, any cars still in build stage?

On 23/08/2021 at 23:04, Horace said:

Well in the last few months I’ve replaced the overdrive and just this week replaced the rotoflexes and bearings along with radius arm brackets on my GT6.  Wasn’t planning on doing this.  Hope I’ve got the shimming right and the hubs don’t seize up mid run…. Putting some miles on it now….

it always comes round quicker than you think.  On my first RBRR tr4 engine rebuild finished about a week prior to event!  Not ideal…

Three years ago, on the Friday morning of the RBRR I was in the Moss shop in Bristol arguing with the staff member that the head gasket he had given me was the wrong one. It was a flat gasket and wouldn't seal into recessed bores, no matter what the computer said. Eventually he gave in and found me a gasket that WOULD work, so I then had to race back to Hungerford, fit the gasket, get going. We re-torqued the head and bled the cooling system at Knebworth. The engine seized on the way back down past Carlisle (oil related not directly HG!) but the head problems had prevented us doing the road miles beforehand that might have helped find/diagnose/treat the oil problems...

It was all very stressful and unnecessary, and not something I really want to repeat!

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread Howard.

Glad you're alright.

Shame about your TR7 but good news about the V8.

Hope you've got deep pockets.

I remember being stunned at the motorway service's price for super unleaded at Wetherby.

Looking forward to seeing you at the start.

Jim.

1 hour ago, McJim said:

Just found this thread Howard.

Glad you're alright.

Shame about your TR7 but good news about the V8.

Hope you've got deep pockets.

I remember being stunned at the motorway service's price for super unleaded at Wetherby.

Looking forward to seeing you at the start.

Jim.

I will discover just how thirsty it is on the RBRR - as the insurance company only charged me 200 quid to keep the damaged car which has a rebuilt engine and gearbox, I might do reverse swap V8 to slant 4 if the fuel consumption is to high!

Cheers

Howard

• Like 2