Specifications for a replacement battery for a 1976 Spitfire 1500

McJim

Can anyone give me the proper specs for a replacement battery?

Been on umpteen sites where the amperes are 32, 44 and even higher and all say something different.

Some even say the battery won't fit when others say it will.

I've measured the old battery (which has no markings on it) and most will fit which makes me doubtful about the information provided on the sites.

Old battery is goosed and needs replacement to get out and about again.

Thanks.

Jim.

Original spec is 038 or 015 (which is a higher power version)

However, not easy to get now. But very common 063 or 075 will fit in the box, bigger and terminals now away from the battery clamp. (But correct sides)

You may need linger j bolts for the battery clamp.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody.

Gone with FloydP's recommendation and ordered the YBX3078 from Tanya Batteries.

Put a similar battery in the Mazda a few weeks ago from the same supplier, so hopefully no problems.

Only difference with my Spitfire is that it has a clamp on the positive side a screw down type fitting on the negative.

Whoever rebuilt the car must have used whatever they had lying around I suppose.

Thanks again guys.

Jim.

Hope it all works out, Jim.

Sorry I only just saw this - I put a new battery on the Spitz in December, it was a Tayna 015, bought direct online from Tayna via the 'Bay of E' for £46.99 delivered. It's 'only' 38Ah capacity, but has started the car absolutely fine every time so far. t fitted snugly into the box, no mods required - albeit that the car hadn't actually had a clamp at that point due to the fact that it had still been off the road at that time! A local motor factor had a suitable J hook type clamp (on the 'pearly oddments' stand) although it needed modifying by shortening the hooks and bending a new 'J' profile.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, McJim said:

Thanks everybody.

Gone with FloydP's recommendation and ordered the YBX3078 from Tanya Batteries.

Put a similar battery in the Mazda a few weeks ago from the same supplier, so hopefully no problems.

Only difference with my Spitfire is that it has a clamp on the positive side a screw down type fitting on the negative.

Whoever rebuilt the car must have used whatever they had lying around I suppose.

Thanks again guys.

Jim.

Really sorry Jim, just realised this was the battery I bought for the stag not the gt6 so you’d better check the dimensions. Apologies, Floyd

No worries Floyd. 

It's already been delivered and fitted to the Spitfire. 

I had already checked if it would fit and it fits perfectly with loads of juice to turn over the starter motor rather than the weedy output from the previous battery. 

With all the electronic gizmos such as sat nav, cameras, phones and even aftermarket heated seats, we shouldn't run out of power. 

Car started first time after been laid up for quite a while as I'm recovering from putting my back out. 

No glib remarks please. 

I was only trying my shoelaces. 

Never felt pain like it. 

Just trying to get fit enough now for the RBRR. 

Car goes into the garage for the last bit of preparation before we're ready to head darn sarf for the start. 

Thanks again Floyd. 

Jim. 

• Like 1

Nice, glad your battery is sorted 🙂

Re the electrical demand you're planning to run, what alternator are you using? Once the engine is started, the battery should be almost redundant as the alternator should be the thing that powers all the gizmos.

If you're using so much electricity that you're draining the battery, you won't have the oomph to start the car next time you need to!

• 1 month later...

Ah yes, on that subject ......

Earlier today, I blew both fuses on the supplies to two cigar lighter additions I had previously fitted and used successfully for a number of years when I connected the heated seat covers.

Not sure why as they worked on the last RBRR.

Only change was that I fitted a new battery with an Ah of 62 over the previous one which was 45Ah.

The wires are connected directly onto the positive terminal of the battery, with two 25 amp fuses, which is the same as it's been for a couple of years with no problems.

Thought I'd be clever and tap into the red wire going to the newly fitted electric screen wash.

However, when I did that and connected up only one of those devices that allow you to have three outlets and two USB outlets but nothing else, smoke came out of it and also the cigar lighter.

The outlet attachment had started to melt and then I noticed that the positive wire to the cigar lighter was starting to melt too.

A quick disconnection and no damage done but now much head scratching.

To melt the outlet splitter would imply that it was drawing too much power, but how, with nothing plugged into it.

Anyway, decided to leave well alone, have a think and got on with a bit of Renovo on the canvas hood.

On a brighter note, the heater is now working like a brazier, so maybe we'll leave the heated seat covers behind.

However, I would like to be able to power the sat nav, cameras and phones.

Thinking cap on.

Jim.