Door glass fixing

Antonnick

On my Herald 13/60 of 1970 I have, amongst many other things done a lot of work on the doors.  They still do not really close properly without violence; the gaps are awful but at least are now rust free and painted nicely inside and out- even the glass seals, inside and out are like new but.......

I have had to be continually replacing on my drivers side ( left side) the glass because it slips out of the channel when winding down. There is a bit of a tight spot about one third down and that is the problem. Both slide rails have new linings fitted. I have just now used some talc on the rails to allow the glass to slide better. Hopefully anyway. The rubber which fits into the holding channel is difficult to get right but works OK on the RHS so why not on the left? I did notice when dismantling everything that previous owner(s) had smeared silikon to the rubber, presumably to stop the glass sliding out so I assume it is not particulary my incompetence but has anyone got any better ideas?

The vertical runners can get bent or misaligned and cause stiff spots, or the inserts in them can get sticky. I replaced mine on the Vitesse with new ones in a hairy material, and the windows are so much smoother and easier now. There are no tight spots any more. With that, even a bad condition bottom rail would work.

Otherwise, what thescrapman said.

Thanks for the tips. I do not understand the methodology of the mole grips - you cannot leave them in place.....? The rubber is standard new. 

I also thought about the vertical runners being straight enough and I did inspect them for straightness before and indeed have installed the new glide linings in the rails - from Woolies I think. 

I think I will try to glue the glass to the rubber seal , the next time it slips out. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...