Stuck clutch?

Craig

We have a Herald that has been parked up for a few years. I cannot engage gear. The pedal was really hard. The clutch master cylinder was showing signs of leaking so I have replaced it with a new one, and I have also replaced the slave cylinder with a new unit. Having bled the clutch, I now have a pedal that feels ok, but when I try and engage gear with the engine running, it won't engage. 

Before I remove the gearbox, can anyone advise what the issue might be, how to fix it, or suggestions on what to do next!

Assuming it is just a stuck clutch, let the engine warm up and get hot, it helps. 

If you have space in front of the car, shut the engine off, and try starting the car with the clutch down but in gear. Or jack the back end up, support if well, start the car in gear and get up to 3rd gear (carefully!) then with the clutch pedal down, keep blipping the throttle. It should eventually free, rarely more than a few attempts.

• Like 2