Spit front braided brake hose - not much thread!

Benjamin Swatton

The braided hose on my car has very little thread just 1/4inch and by time you have inserted in caliper there is only 1/8inch depth of thread holding hose on ! - I'm finding even with new copper washer it does not want to seal on one caliper side and I'm v worried about stripping especially as some overhauled caliper threads seem a bit tired - although I've had this braided on for 20k, I'm seriously toying with going to rubber as they have 1/2inch of thread. Is there any problem running rubber when the rear brakes are on braided?

These are goodridge hoses compare them to a standard rubber hose in photo

The problem is made worse by the fact that the thread in type 12 calipers starts 3mm into bore.  Note also the copper washer NOT shown in photo is approx 1mm thick which needs to be taken into account So  what this means is for the good ridge hose you have by measurement just 2.8mm depth of thread holding the hose on which is just 3 turns of thread... the rubber hose you have 7mm of thread which is 7 turns of thread...

And early cars have single circuit brakes so there is no fallback second circuit if you have a failure... you make your choice

16308655176611842081927.jpg

1630865576225-380232749.jpg

1630865637952-1310367681.jpg

1630865715406-1097795727.jpg

1630866398037-1739855581.jpg

Edited by 13254
Sent before finishing

The end on that Goodridge hose is a taper fit, intended to seal at the tip, not with a copper washer. That's why it's got that "diameter reduction". I'd say it's not the correct hose for the application.

I don't recall what the hoses on my Herald were like - and it was type 14 calipers on that - but that's the only time I've put braided ones on that sort of fitting. All my current Triumphs have type 16 calipers with a short bit of rigid pipe between the hose and the caliper. No copper washers involved with that setup.

• 1 month later...

Yes the braided hoses came from paddocks, but the problem is the taper is too short I think to engage at bottom of caliper thread which does indeed have a taper but also bear in mind stsndard rubber hoses have no taper at all anyway! . Either way it appears a compromise from new unless anyone happens to still have an oem rubber  hose and can prove they had a taper. Ultimately the copper washer is the only bit doing the sealing so not the best.

On 05/09/2021 at 20:02, RobPearce said:

The end on that Goodridge hose is a taper fit, intended to seal at the tip, not with a copper washer. That's why it's got that "diameter reduction". I'd say it's not the correct hose for the application.

I agree.  Unless it's fitted the wrong way round.  What does the fitting on the other end of the hose look like?

Nothing wrong with rubber hoses.  May give a slightly longer, softer pedal, but not sure it's enough difference to notice.  And you can see when they are getting past their best.

Nick