Spit caliper to disk clearances

Benjamin Swatton

Really Aanoying that triumph did not set this up so that shims could enable adjustment - I've yet to check if oem stub is not fully in VL but it was torqued up to book other side caliper/ axle is acceptable but still 1mm off center.  Prior to rebuild I seem to recall them being off center with different VL's - I'm now wishing I measured everything - you just can't trust anything ! - very tempting to get caliper machined to allow a shim as required - I have a nats whisker of clearance - I could get rid of paint on shield , all other paint is gone.

20210830_191701.jpg

I've managed to improve things a little  by drifting the rear  bearing race abit deeper into hub clearly whoever rebuilt hub didn't quite get them seated, both hubs on either side now sit about same clearance of 0.75mm on outside disc face, still not central  but there is only another 0.75mm to go to get central  as disc is 10mm thick and caliper clearance only 13mm so can't expect perfection - it could just be spec of races is slightly out.

• 1 month later...

I've managed to solve this sufficiently to get back on road simply by swapping the hubs over from one side to other! It just shows that there are some tolerance variations somewhere and unless it is the modern races and bearings or new brake discs then it can only otherwise be the OEM parts that were always like that from new. Probably the best way to solve properly is to skim the face of the mount lugs on the brake calipers  by about 0.5mm. So you can see although it look's wayout in photo we are talking of still relatively  small dimension that could easily build between various parts to throw you out especially if new part suppliers are "metricating" the original imperial dimensions to the nearest value...

20211010_110522.jpg