Stromberg which needle

slate

Hi all I have just rebuilt the Stromberg's on my mk2 vitesse, which were fitted sometime in the past with cd3's from a 2000

Burlen supplied B5BT needles as there listed for this carb under the 2000 model, and is what they had in stock at the time.

There fitted and the car starts and runs although on the richest height adjustment of the needle. [haven't been able to road test yet]

comparing this needle and the original 6AC of the the correct 150cd's the b5bt is much leaner throughout the range and I wondered if anyone had any experience along these lines for which would be the best needle.

I should say before rebuild they had B5CF fitted and felt a little under powered and didn't have the acceleration of a Vitesse with standard carbs.

so before I go down the line of reconditioning a set standard CD's I wondered if any one had a needle suggestion.

On 07/09/2021 at 07:43, vitessesteve said:

Are you running with the original airfilter and exhaust systems?

Any changes to either the engine breathing in and out  are likely to change the needle profile needed.

K & N s but likely to go back to standard as there in poor condition .

Honestly I don't know they were on the car when I got it over 20 years ago.

But it does explain why all the listed needles seem to be a lot leaner.

Do you have any recommendations for a needle in these circumstances or should I go  for original carbs?

29 minutes ago, slate said:

Honestly I don't know they were on the car when I got it over 20 years ago.

But it does explain why all the listed needles seem to be a lot leaner.

Do you have any recommendations for a needle in these circumstances or should I go  for original carbs?

The earlier carbs are generally easier to set up/tweek. And I am uncertain if you can fit the earlier needle to your carbs?

But std 6AC should be correct, or at least very close to what you need. (though I am no font of knowledge on Strombergs, my plenium comment was from when I fitted a 2500s engine to my Vitesse, it wouldn't rev beyond 3k as it was so lean, change of needles transformed the car)

Unfortunately the early and late needles are not interchangeable.

There doesn't seem to be an equivalent in the later ones ,so I was just seeing if anyone had fitted a needle that ran well without trying all the different options,at £20 a throw which will get a tad  expensive.

I don't want to run a much leaner needle longer than necessary, especially with this methonal fuel which runs leaner anyway. 

I may just refurbish the early carbs I've got hold of and sell this set.

Thanks for your help.

• 5 weeks later...

i would also make sure the temperature compensators are screwed fully shut  as with age they become a permanent throttle air bypass and idle mixtures cannot be set properly  just screw the small nut to close the plunger ..for good  and  seal the two body 0 rings . 

an other way is turn the middle gasket upside down so it blocks the air bypass for good .

on a biased needle the small delrin washer on the head of the needle should be level with the base of the air piston to be about right .

Pete