What Miles per Gallon Do You Expect on the RBRR

I did a trial run a fortnight ago fom Pembrokeshire  Wales to Hereford to pick up my  co driver then up to the lake district and back  to Hereford and  home in my MK3 Triumph Spitfire 1300 with overdrive  main roads averaging 55mph motor way 60 to 65mph and was averaging 44mpg which did surprise me. driving localy 32mpg.The rebuilt engine has certainly had a good work out 700 miles in two days and good prep for the  RBRR 

• Like 1

Iv'e only used Dolomite's /Toledo's on the RBRR with a well packed boot and back seat

2008 Dolomite 1500SE 4sd 35mpg

2010 Dolomite 1500SE 4sd 37mpg

2014 Toledo 2dr 1300 4sd 35mpg

2016 Triumph 1500TC auto 33mpg

2018 Triumph 1500TC auto 34mpg

All are average mpg over the whole weekends.

On 18/09/2021 at 14:09, Rutty said:

Interestingly on the last RBRR the 2500 TC only came in 1 MPG lower than a couple of 2000's I compared it with.

In 2008 I did the RBRR in a 1300 Toledo (admittedly not in ideal condition) and got 26MPG, which was poorer that its usual daily figures round here in flatland.

In 2010 I used a PI estate that never gave more than 22MPG in normal use. RBRR figure was 26MPG - same as the Toledo!

I can only conclude that not only are the 2500s the best choice for RBRR but the RBRR is the best journey for a 2500. 😛

• 2 weeks later...

Alright i've done some sums for our fuel consumption over the whole run.

Total weekend mileage 2,014 miles at 41.3mpg, and one pint of oil used. I'm very happy with that!

(Spitfire mk3 overdrive with skimmed big valve head, 4-2-1 manifold, K&N's. And driven enthusiastically 🙂 )

• Like 1

Not bad Pete!

I've just totted up our figures up to Bude - because we filled up there and got all the way home on that tankful - and it looks like we averaged 44.0MPG, although we got through 2L of oil. Surprisingly, the worst economy stretches were Tebay to Gledridd and Okehampton to Bude, and not the rather lairy bits of driving in Scotland.

(Spitfire Mk3 but with 1500 engine, 4-2-1 manifold, overdrive and 3.63:1 diff. Not driven as "enthusiastically" as some people, perhaps)

• Like 1

Does anyone mind posting their costs? I don't know how many miles we did exactly (speedo well out...) and I'm missing some receipts.

Looks like we used £272 in fuel according to the credit card. Far better than what I think was over £400 last time. I wasn't hanging about at times either. 

Whilst it wont be a 100% accurate, because milometer doesnt work properly (it recored 12 miles!) based on almost no deviation from route, plus 50 miles exatly to the start and 50 back, it comes in at 27mpg in the stag. Which seems OK.

I also officially bought my most expensive ever fuel at £1.72.9 per litre!!!!

Our consumption in the TR4A was 36.1mpg from the start to Ashburton. This is a true figure adjusted for a known 1.5% odometer error. As some will be able to attest we were using the car's full performance at times although we did limit ourselves to max 3000rpm in overdrive top on motorways and dual carriageways. I am unable to work out an overall figure for the event until I can find somewhere to brim the tank, no fuel in my area at present! 

Tim

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Pete, if you used £272 then that is 40 gallons, so 50mpg. 

I know, it just doesn't make sense. I've been getting 25mpg before the event so plugged the laptop in on the A1 and near Jedburgh to have a tinker.

However, the maths, receipts and only being able to get 7lt in the tank at Bude after filling up at Tesco Penzance suggests otherwise.

7 hours ago, ferny said:

I know, it just doesn't make sense. I've been getting 25mpg before the event so plugged the laptop in on the A1 and near Jedburgh to have a tinker.

However, the maths, receipts and only being able to get 7lt in the tank at Bude after filling up at Tesco Penzance suggests otherwise.

I reckon you have missed a fill off, and have hit a sweet spot with the setup.

40mpg should be easily attainable for you on a good run, and it will be very economical on the long motorway runs.

We saw and actually paid £1.75 a litre for Optimax 🤬

Luckily? There was a £30 limit.

It's the RBRR, you do what ever you have to do to get round!

We don't generally speak of total costs, just make sure it's spread around multiple bank accounts, credit cards and cash set aside months in advance :classic_ninja: - if the financial department ever find out, there'll be an enquiry and we don't want that at Chinn Towers