Herald convertible hood

Adrianb

Hi All,
I was wondering what colour Heralds were that had white soft tops the 13/60 I’m working on originally had a black one on a white body! I have acquired a white hood so I can confuse my mates when the car finally leaves the garage !

I've got a (shrunken) white hood on my 1200 convertible of late '64. No clue there, sadly, as I bought it 2nd-hand attached to a hoodframe, quite a few years ago, now. The windscreen crosspiece of the hoodframe had disintegrated, together with the hood, & the replacements, individually, were/are rather expensive...so getting the two together already fitted to each other, was the ideal cost-effective solution. But vinyl hoods certainly do shrink! 

My Mk4 Spitfire still has its original hood, and it has the manufacturer info on the rear window, I wonder if Herald ones were the same. Looks an orangy colour text embossed into the vinyl 

It is a black one but I do have on the shelf a frame with a white hood on that I think is also an original one, so Triumph may have fitted white hoods to 1973 Spitfires.

Edited by thescrapman

• 2 months later...

It’s great there’s some paperwork to back up my choice of having a white hood on a white car! Not everyone’s choice I know but people won’t be second guessing who’s coming down the road! It will be “oh it’s him he should have got a black hood!

• 4 weeks later...

Following on from my above post about my old 2nd-hand white vinyl hood/frame, that was fitted a couple of years ago, I have now found that it will not clamp to the top of the windscreen. This is strange as during last winter it was all fine. It should be easier during the summer months, if anything, as the air temps. are higher which should allow a little more stretch. i haven't yet tried to slacken the frame mounting bolts to take up any slight adjustment that might be there but am wondering whether anyone else has come across this? She lives outside & is used all the year round. 

Has the car been parked up for a while with the hood down?

Even in summer if I leave the hood folded for a while the first time I put it up it does need a bit more effort to get it to fit. I soon stretches back though.

Try to get it to fit before slackening off anything

Thanks for your reply........no it hasn't - the odd night if the weather has been fine, but that's all. Given it's an old hood & I had it several years before it was fitted I would have thought that any shrinkage would have already happened. I would worry about really forcing it as the pressure on top of the windscreen would be huge!