GT6 rear light swap to TR3 (L549) type

Ben Hutchings

I’m swapping to TR3 / MGA etc rear lights. I know a few have already done this. It needs some sort of mod, and I’m wondering how others have done it. Here’s a comparison (note body fitting holes): 

CE06E2A4-C816-48BC-9F58-085A95A0F0C2.thumb.jpeg.258c6b8c4f7615ff30ab6d735c5285f0.jpeg

The original is at the top, and you can see the fixings for the ‘new’ one are closer together and neither line-up with existing holes. Seems to my three options are:

1) Drill new holes in the body 😮

2) Drill new holes in the lamp bases, somehow keeping the strength previously provided by some pressed profiles around the holes.

3) make up some brackets with studs providing necessary offsets.

I’m favouring option 3 although it’s gonna take the longest. Any ideas? What did you do? 

I’m going for option 2. Modifying the lamp bases. So far it means 3 new holes in each, and quite a bit of filing on two to allow for screw head clearance and also a new side-entry wire ‘port’. Also one of the bulb holders was rusted beyond repair so I’ve swiped one from one of the old bases and copper-riveted it back in.

81C61F09-0E74-4807-8FDA-1ABFFD146811.thumb.jpeg.3e2a93ac9f5a196878ccf00ca12c76d9.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...