Mystery Pistons

philb

Hello

I put this question in the Chat section and just realised this might be more visible so repeated below

I was sold these pistons years ago as suitable for a Spitfire 1500. I didn't need them at the time but have since discovered they are not for a Spit 1500.

They are Sheepbridge Engineering Precision Pistons. The label reads Reference: SA193, Make: Standard, Size: 2.90 +020.

As you will see in the photo the word Triumph has been written on the box in ink.

Would appreciate any assistance in identifying which engine these are for.

Thanks

Phil

20210906_123443.jpg

20210906_123456.jpg

20210906_123524.jpg

20210906_123531.jpg

• 6 months later...

I did a little checking and I can't find any Standard engines with a 2.90 bore. The only engines Standard Triumph made with that bore are the 1296 and 1500 which of course were introduced after the Standard marque was dropped.

The early Post-war 1800 did have a 73mm bore, but that is distinctly smaller that the 73.7mm equivalent to 2.90"

I have seen four ring pistons for other marques intended to control oil consumption in well-worn engines, but when bored to an oversize that seems excessive.

Cheers,

Paul