The return of the log!

Darren Sharp

Latest on the The log. 
I have now fitted the replacement Petrol tank in the Log . It was very well stored and required no more than a rinse round inside with fresh fuel . The old tank was deformed with the top crushed down . In the Dolomite the top of the tank is the floor of the boot , protected only by a piece of hardboard over the sender unit and the hardura boot mat and is susceptible to heaven loads being placed on top of it . A previous Dolomite of mine had a fuel smell in the cabin and it turned out to have a crack on the top of the tank . They were far easier to come by in the 1990’s and I replaced it with a new one. In the pictures you can see how the original tank has become concave (reference the cushion placed on edge across it) it should be flat. The fuel gauge reading empty with the ignition on has not featured on the car for many years because the deflection in the top of the tank caused the sender unit arm to foul on a baffle inside the tank . Other than this the tank is good so I’m going to inflate it to see if the top can be popped back up . I checked the breather and found that although it was clear I had to be careful to reinstall the filler pipe rubber so as to keep it from obstructing the outlet . I have a nagging doubt in my mind about how the top of the tank became crushed I do remember doing a lot of camping with this car and even towing a trailer tent with it . At the time I bought a heavy 6 man tunnel tent . If that was stored on top of the tank along with camp kitchens and all the paraphernalia it could have caused some damage. 
It’s quite strange having Amy (as it used to be known when I owned it in the 2000’s ) AKA the log back in my ownership. As I’m going through the various jobs I’m finding marks and scratches that were made at the time . Like the holes for the tow bar and a scratch on the offside rear door caused by a girl walking past the car with a tent pole sticking out from her rucksack . I’ve chosen some smart new wheels and I’m looking forward to the winter when Nick will be getting out the hot spanner’s to repair the headlamp support panels and tidy up the door bottoms . There are a couple of small holes in the corners of the front floor wells which will need his attention and a full inspection of the vulnerable subframe mounts, both of which have been previously repaired to ensure that they are fit for future service . Otherwise the bottom of the car is surprisingly good. My next job is to replace all the suspension bushes , the shocks and both track rod ends . They work fine but both have split gaiters . After I’d used a 1/4 tank inspection of the rear fuel filter (fitted with new R9 hose) shows no debris in the new tank . Inspired I gave the rear underside a bit of t cut ! 

F68D661D-F20F-43C4-995C-403FB31A3A4B.jpeg

1FB482A2-57F7-4EAD-AB77-6F181DC70934.jpeg

9CCF4046-4B59-439E-9DE3-2801FBD69AF7.jpeg

472D3790-E952-4BB9-8BE7-176B6A719370.jpeg

BF9A6358-4EE5-437C-8FA5-D225CDB533D8.jpeg

914D9DB0-21E4-4149-BDE2-F8F1EDF91080.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2021 at 14:11, Darren Sharp said:

Latest on the The log. 
I have now fitted the replacement Petrol tank in the Log . It was very well stored and required no more than a rinse round inside with fresh fuel . The old tank was deformed with the top crushed down . In the Dolomite the top of the tank is the floor of the boot , protected only by a piece of hardboard over the sender unit and the hardura boot mat and is susceptible to heaven loads being placed on top of it . A previous Dolomite of mine had a fuel smell in the cabin and it turned out to have a crack on the top of the tank . They were far easier to come by in the 1990’s and I replaced it with a new one. In the pictures you can see how the original tank has become concave (reference the cushion placed on edge across it) it should be flat. The fuel gauge reading empty with the ignition on has not featured on the car for many years because the deflection in the top of the tank caused the sender unit arm to foul on a baffle inside the tank . Other than this the tank is good so I’m going to inflate it to see if the top can be popped back up . I checked the breather and found that although it was clear I had to be careful to reinstall the filler pipe rubber so as to keep it from obstructing the outlet . I have a nagging doubt in my mind about how the top of the tank became crushed I do remember doing a lot of camping with this car and even towing a trailer tent with it . At the time I bought a heavy 6 man tunnel tent . If that was stored on top of the tank along with camp kitchens and all the paraphernalia it could have caused some damage. 
It’s quite strange having Amy (as it used to be known when I owned it in the 2000’s ) AKA the log back in my ownership. As I’m going through the various jobs I’m finding marks and scratches that were made at the time . Like the holes for the tow bar and a scratch on the offside rear door caused by a girl walking past the car with a tent pole sticking out from her rucksack . I’ve chosen some smart new wheels and I’m looking forward to the winter when Nick will be getting out the hot spanner’s to repair the headlamp support panels and tidy up the door bottoms . There are a couple of small holes in the corners of the front floor wells which will need his attention and a full inspection of the vulnerable subframe mounts, both of which have been previously repaired to ensure that they are fit for future service . Otherwise the bottom of the car is surprisingly good. My next job is to replace all the suspension bushes , the shocks and both track rod ends . They work fine but both have split gaiters . After I’d used a 1/4 tank inspection of the rear fuel filter (fitted with new R9 hose) shows no debris in the new tank . Inspired I gave the rear underside a bit of t cut ! 

F68D661D-F20F-43C4-995C-403FB31A3A4B.jpeg

1FB482A2-57F7-4EAD-AB77-6F181DC70934.jpeg

9CCF4046-4B59-439E-9DE3-2801FBD69AF7.jpeg

472D3790-E952-4BB9-8BE7-176B6A719370.jpeg

BF9A6358-4EE5-437C-8FA5-D225CDB533D8.jpeg

914D9DB0-21E4-4149-BDE2-F8F1EDF91080.jpeg

You should be able to pop the tank back up by feeding a metal bar into the tank with a strong length of nylon rope or similar and attach to bench and pull like..... and it will pull the dent out. Did a few like that when customers had dropped bags of cement etc on them.

Tony.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

You should be able to pop the tank back up by feeding a metal bar into the tank with a strong length of nylon rope or similar and attach to bench and pull like..... and it will pull the dent out. Did a few like that when customers had dropped bags of cement etc on them.

Tony.

A useful tip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So last week I had the manifolds off the Log . The exhaust side was burned out at both the manifold and downpipe . A long job but successful. Ever since I’ve had The log back in my possession it’s had a misfire , doesn’t rev cleanly and had a lot of excessive engine noise . I’ve done the tappets several times , cold as per the manuals  removed and inspected the rocker shaft , removed the pushrods and checked all the ancillaries for bearing rumbles Etc . It now has a sealed manifold and today I’ve fitted a new electronic distributor and coil . Done in an hour it has transformed the cars drivability . I checked and triple checked the wiring before fitting the new coil and distributor, to ensure that I didn’t ‘blow the sensor’ . Many of our old cars have had the wiring tampered with over the years and it’s quite common on points equipped cars to wire the coil backwards . Curiously they still work but not with aftermarket electronic undercap systems or full electronic distributors . They will fail immediately. They are also voltage sensitive and will not work with ballast resistors in the system , even if they are being used with a 12v coil. Consequently the ballast resistor circuit must be disabled before fitment. One way around this issue is to take the live feed to the distributor from a separate ignition controlled source rather than just direct to the coil + VE terminal . There are a few Ignition controlled wires on most triumphs and a good place to ‘plumb in’ is the heater fan circuit . 

C8B638E5-8F79-41E2-9617-61443B9BA1C3.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Next up in the return of the log has been replacing both engine mounts. The nearside one looked a little 'baggy' and upon loosening the mounting bolts ( which was really easy) and jacking the engine up gently it fell in half with the rubber part having parted company with the backing plate. The engine was still shaky so a week later I tackled the off side. This has slightly less accessibility and was fitted with nylocs which made it a faff to release with two ring spanners as there was no room for a ratchet. This time the top plate was detached. All three powertrain supports on this car have now been replaced. The net effect of all this whole lot of shaking going on is that the entire drive train is now noticeably quieter and the bulkhead shake and exhaust rattling has abated. sadly though I didn't find it in time to stop the manifold to downpipe gasket blowing again. I fixed that this morning, relieved to find that it wasn't the torturous manifold to head gasket    

• 3 weeks later...

Still looks ok from 20yards away though. Driving much sweeter but I’m going to investigate the big ends before too long . Fine up to 3000 revs but then a bit too rumbly for me . Still can’t trace the annoying ever present tappet noise either so may have to have the lump out for a real good rummage at some point . Daily driving at the moment about 100 miles a week . 

D9FD1760-28DB-491C-882E-88AF90C9858B.jpeg

Hello Darren. That annoying tappet type noise isn’t the servo valve is it? It was on my car, and I was convinced it was a top end tappet or timing chain rattle! Just a thought and maybe you’ve checked already? But if not pop it out and give it a shake. You’ll soon hear if it’s the culprit.

New valve and seal from Moss, as below, is a cheap fix. 

B35F9932-E4FE-4894-8D08-90103108F3CC.thumb.jpeg.79a7d3a6f2afccf07767b048e9a43173.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bish said:

Hello Darren. That annoying tappet type noise isn’t the servo valve is it? It was on my car, and I was convinced it was a top end tappet or timing chain rattle! Just a thought and maybe you’ve checked already? But if not pop it out and give it a shake. You’ll soon hear if it’s the culprit.

New valve and seal from Moss, as below, is a cheap fix. 

B35F9932-E4FE-4894-8D08-90103108F3CC.thumb.jpeg.79a7d3a6f2afccf07767b048e9a43173.jpeg

I’ll have to check that out … when it stops raining lol 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New Rocker Arms for the Log and a name change! 

whilst in the warehouse of TD Fitchett’s discovering a rocking horse poo mine of rare Triumph parts I purchased a nice new set of rocker arms for The Flying Log AKA Amy . I’m fed up with him/ her being transgender so I’m going for Male and a new Monica … Marmite . I once showed the car at a TSSC show and was told by the judges who poured over it that it was probably the most immaculate original Triumph at the show … buts it’s Brown Sir and therefore couldn’t be allowed to win! ( You can see why I never joined),   Russet Brown divides opinion like no other original Triumph Colour (with the possible exception of Magenta) . Marmite has new vinyl wing decals some nice shiny new headlights and although the new tappets didn’t improve the noise much they certainly have improved the drive . Another new choke cable from Rimmers snapped the first time it was used but judicious straightening of the old inner with a new outer cable makes for a smooth operation in use . Marmite did bite my arm whilst balancing the carbs though ! 

71846052-C89D-4525-A34B-3DE6C9492455.jpeg

A2185842-5CAF-4057-8A0E-55349CBC5961.jpeg

8582938D-6E0B-470F-BD58-9DF705DA4548.jpeg

70211562-4127-4113-A315-89332BAD0AC5.jpeg

B31662E1-103B-41AE-8C02-1CBE649D9D94.jpeg

5C59ABC6-B6C9-4A09-ADE3-796718E03517.jpeg

B5349AEB-A66D-4AD4-BBB2-39560E6D52A6.jpeg

B23072D3-46FC-4AE5-AF19-47ACDFA2CF33.jpeg

6BEAA549-946B-4560-A656-73C7488804B7.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone , The next saga in the life of The Flying Log is underway . Having fettled it through the summer months with the help of the Johnson’s (Andy , Sarah and Luke) at their unit in Louth and driving it as my daily much of the time it has now gone South to Essex and my old friend Nick Peskett who you may remember restored Olaf in 2018 . It didn’t go directly to Essex as it had a 2000 + mile detour via the Round Britain Reliability Run in the hands of Pete Barrett from Cherished Insurance, stepping in at the eleventh hour as his Big red PI Mk 2 Restoration became too big a task to complete in time for the event. The Log made it round it’s 5th RBRR and is now going for some much needed hot spannering! That will be followed by body prep and paint . It will be done in 2K and hopefully the paint and repairs will give it a new lease of life .. and another 5 RBRR’s ! New suspension awaits plus a cupboard full of shiny bits , No plates , vinyl covering for the roof , lots of trim rubber and lots more ! I’ve posted most of the pics before but here’s one of it on the Cherished Insurance stand at Beaulieu auto jumble drumming up support for the RBRR plus some of the engine and rebushing work that Pete did prior to the Round Britain. Meanwhile Foo Man Choo looks on Inscrutable! 

0650CC73-383B-4D32-8901-2386234DE75A.jpeg

2ED0AF65-C652-43F4-97AA-5607B564C6EF.jpeg

4EDB0C06-B2C5-464C-A5C9-92138C11C2E8.jpeg

1DF6F75A-BB49-4D54-BA2A-3572DE5AACE9.jpeg

AA0A5769-BC0A-40EA-A03D-96358AE6F783.jpeg

24CD3FFE-B608-4AD0-8B04-15E76F83E26F.jpeg

D99F008D-3B61-4E94-BD36-A31E96667664.jpeg

EA449587-634D-4F25-83ED-A3D9275221D1.jpeg

32D11415-1A13-49B6-9BE5-105A8AF6128A.jpeg

76F7F8FE-FCDE-48DE-A9F5-110E0BA76436.jpeg

C16C6918-58D3-44A4-8ADE-7CE2190896A7.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The log having completed its 5th RBRR is now ensconced in Essex for  hot spannering with Nick Peskett who restored Olaf to rude health in 2018 . Not much going on at the moment as Nick has a big paying Resto on and is working flat out on that with The Log as a ‘fill in’ job . So progress will be steady rather than spectacular so I will post pictures as the work progresses. I’m pleased to report that the log is started up every day though and ferried around the yard . I’ve also encouraged Nick to run about in it to keep it in good fettle.

• Like 3