The return of the log!

Darren Sharp

Latest on the The log. 
I have now fitted the replacement Petrol tank in the Log . It was very well stored and required no more than a rinse round inside with fresh fuel . The old tank was deformed with the top crushed down . In the Dolomite the top of the tank is the floor of the boot , protected only by a piece of hardboard over the sender unit and the hardura boot mat and is susceptible to heaven loads being placed on top of it . A previous Dolomite of mine had a fuel smell in the cabin and it turned out to have a crack on the top of the tank . They were far easier to come by in the 1990’s and I replaced it with a new one. In the pictures you can see how the original tank has become concave (reference the cushion placed on edge across it) it should be flat. The fuel gauge reading empty with the ignition on has not featured on the car for many years because the deflection in the top of the tank caused the sender unit arm to foul on a baffle inside the tank . Other than this the tank is good so I’m going to inflate it to see if the top can be popped back up . I checked the breather and found that although it was clear I had to be careful to reinstall the filler pipe rubber so as to keep it from obstructing the outlet . I have a nagging doubt in my mind about how the top of the tank became crushed I do remember doing a lot of camping with this car and even towing a trailer tent with it . At the time I bought a heavy 6 man tunnel tent . If that was stored on top of the tank along with camp kitchens and all the paraphernalia it could have caused some damage. 
It’s quite strange having Amy (as it used to be known when I owned it in the 2000’s ) AKA the log back in my ownership. As I’m going through the various jobs I’m finding marks and scratches that were made at the time . Like the holes for the tow bar and a scratch on the offside rear door caused by a girl walking past the car with a tent pole sticking out from her rucksack . I’ve chosen some smart new wheels and I’m looking forward to the winter when Nick will be getting out the hot spanner’s to repair the headlamp support panels and tidy up the door bottoms . There are a couple of small holes in the corners of the front floor wells which will need his attention and a full inspection of the vulnerable subframe mounts, both of which have been previously repaired to ensure that they are fit for future service . Otherwise the bottom of the car is surprisingly good. My next job is to replace all the suspension bushes , the shocks and both track rod ends . They work fine but both have split gaiters . After I’d used a 1/4 tank inspection of the rear fuel filter (fitted with new R9 hose) shows no debris in the new tank . Inspired I gave the rear underside a bit of t cut ! 

• Like 1