Fuel?

Le Figaro here posted an item about it at 20h52 French time.

Both BP and ExxonMobil (Esso) put out a press release stating that there are a 'small number' of stations are closed 'temporarily'. This effects Tesco sites in particular. They are giving priority to supplying motorway service stations, those on major roads and those with the highest demands.

The gouvernement has said that there is no shortage of fuel it is a delivery problem and not to panic buy but just as normal.

If I was doing the run I would carry a 10 litre can of petrol anyway. I do this when I go on trips simply because I use secondary routes hence less petrol stations.

I'd imagine that most of our stops will be OK due to the nature of them bring busy plus our advanced warning. Rather than being able to order fuel to be delivered within 24 hours BP are currently asking stations to order day in advance. 

The only place I'm worried about is Wick Tesco. It's out of the way and out of holiday season.

Edited by ferny

4 hours ago, ferny said:

The only place I'm worried about is Wick Tesco. It's out of the way and out of holiday season.

Depending on MPG you could probably tank it at Skiach, have your breakfast and then fill again at the Gulf station in Castletown. It's what we did on our run last week. (Google maps says 115 miles from Skiach to Castletown via Wick)

Edited by yorkshire_spam

2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Depending on MPG you could probably tank it at Skiach, have your breakfast and then fill again at the Gulf station in Castletown. It's what we did on our run last week. (Google maps says 115 miles from Skiach to Castletown via Wick)

I did the NC500 in August and filled up at the GLEANER  garage in Thurso before driving down to Wick. Gleaner runs a small chain of independent garages on the east coast.  It is easy to drive past them because they are smaller but they usually have super unleaded (when most of the usual bigger stations up there don't) and it is the same price or cheaper - I paid £1.48 / litre in the 2 I used which is unusual for small garages in remote areas.  

They are a welcome sight and worth looking out for. 

• Like 1

The bigger issue are the tossers who are panic buying fuel today, most of the fuel stations near home have now run out of unleaded due to this. Hoepfully by next week that will have died down, although if it's the same idiots that bought up all the loo roll last year they may persist!

Bradison: Like the stickers on the wing.

25 minutes ago, Bradison said:

Too many people believe everything the media says. 

In this case both BP and ExxonMobil put out a press release on the subject, see me post earlier, so I would assume some truth in the matter.

As for panic buying, it makes matters worse of course. Thousands of people who normally drive around with 1/2 a tank then add £10s worth when the light comes on suddenly go and fill to the brim and keep topping it up . . .

It happened here at the start of Covid, fortunately not for long.

• Like 1

Thank you good sir

9 minutes ago, Rosbif said:

Bradison: Like the stickers on the wing.

In this case both BP and ExxonMobil put out a press release on the subject, see me post earlier, so I would assume some truth in the matter.

As for panic buying, it makes matters worse of course. Thousands of people who normally drive around with 1/2 a tank then add £10s worth when the light comes on suddenly go and fill to the brim and keep topping it up . . .

It happened here at the start of Covid, fortunately not for long.

Having just popped into Sainsburys for a top (of wine) I wish I filled the van up to the brim yesterday now. I only put in £60 thinking I'd not need more than half a tank...They've run out of diesel and the queue for petrol is rather long, with sections of the car park closed to help manage them.

I think the Herald has some in it. I probably should check.

Sainsbury's in Ipswich was closed as all run out. 

Both Tesco had queues of 20-30 cars. Unleaded was running out, but they were pumping more in the other end as there was a delivery in progress.

Have noticed Super Unleaded in short supply over last few weeks.

The Shell opposite Sainsbury's had no queue at all, but then they are more expensive.

And everywhere has put their prices up today by look of it.

There's a good chance you'll be fine next week. Once the panic buyers have filled their cars sales will return to normal levels. Unlike toilette rolls petrol isn't easy to stockpile. In fact you will probably discover that when you need to fill up there won't be any queues and the pumps will be covered in cobwebs because nobody needs to buy any petrol by then 😁

• Like 1