Fuel?

I do feel this is political and media’s fault. BP was only closing a handful of their stations, but media blew it up out of all proportions. 

Quite a few petrol stations are now closed near me due to panic buying.

I managed to fill the Spitty up without having to queue for too long this morning.

I did notice that one station, that was closed yesterday, is now open with all pumps working so fuel deliveries are getting through.

Hopefully it would have calmed down by next weekend. 🤞

• Like 2

On 24/09/2021 at 16:20, McJim said:

Meant to add, all of that is going in the boot of the Spitfire on the RBRR.

Preparation is everything.

Jim.

You’ll make a small fortune selling that along the way 🤪

10 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Perhaps we need to have a bit of a competition here, who can get the furthest from Knebworth before running out of petrol. 

Acclaims not allowed to enter. 🙂

Utter buffonery... my wife is a teacher.  If we hadn't got diesel she wouldn't have got to work on Monday.  That's a whole class at home... how many of those parents panicked purchased? It would have been a waste of time had they had to stay at home because the teacher couldn't get to work.

8 hours ago, PaulB said:

Hopefully it would have calmed down by next weekend. 🤞

It needs to calm down before next weekend.

A lot of people will be travelling on Thursday, especially the foreign contingent. (As well as my co-driver from Derby who under present conditions couldn't even get to me!)

I suspect the RBRR committee will have a decision to make by Wednesday at the latest. 

Crisis What Crisis - Supertramp 1975.

No change here then.

There's always some problem every other year.

Closed roads, major motorway roadworks, lack of hot air for the doom mongers - it's all the same and part of the adventure.

If you were guaranteed to make it round, would that make the RBRR more attractive?  Don't think so.

It's all the problems that arise and are surmounted that make the stories and the legends of the Round Britain.

The personal satisfaction of crossing the finish line at Knebworth after all the difficulties that you have encountered and overcome is a sweet reward.

No fuel at your regular petrol station?

That's nothing, because this weekend, by hook or by crook, I'm driving down from Scotland and then round Britain with a bunch of never say die petrol heads.

Never give up.

Jim.

crisis.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McJim said:

Crisis What Crisis - Supertramp 1975.

No change here then.

There's always some problem every other year.

Closed roads, major motorway roadworks, lack of hot air for the doom mongers - it's all the same and part of the adventure.

If you were guaranteed to make it round, would that make the RBRR more attractive?  Don't think so.

It's all the problems that arise and are surmounted that make the stories and the legends of the Round Britain.

The personal satisfaction of crossing the finish line at Knebworth after all the difficulties that you have encountered and overcome is a sweet reward.

No fuel at your regular petrol station?

That's nothing, because this weekend, by hook or by crook, I'm driving down from Scotland and then round Britain with a bunch of never say die petrol heads.

Never give up.

Jim.

crisis.jpg

Agree with all that…Don’t Panic !! said Jonesy. Couple of points though..

Due to the situation will we be given updates via the RBRR WhatsApp on the current situation at Services, or where or who has fuel for sale on or near the route, i.e will crew members give us feedback via WhatsApp on where we can obtain Super unleaded? Is that something the Club will organise bearing in mind the exceptional circumstances of the situation? I think this needs to be addressed/ debated/ clarified rather promptly for damage limitation on the Run and to ensure we all stay as safe as possible in my view.

Secondly, check your breakdown insurance. I’m with A Plan and after enquiring found we are NOT strictly covered for breakdown recovery if due to no WATER, OIL, or FUEL. The chap I spoke with couldn’t answer my query positively and went off to double check as running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere at 4:00 am could be a reality! In my case he came back and said I would be recovered to the nearest fuel station or a 10 mile ( or thereabouts) radius. At least I could get recovered to safety in this event. So I would urge you to telephone and double check with your insurer or breakdown agent.

I would also say don’t enter Motorways IF you are low on fuel! Last thing you want is not being able to refill on the Motorway and be stranded on the hard shoulder, which if a Smart Motorway might not even have one! My advice only.  

Kevin

Edited by Boxofbits

I really didn't want to have to say this, but what is it with you guys? Do you really believe that the chaps who did the first RBRR in 1966 had everything laid on tap? What is worrying you? Might you miss the air-con, or that DAB radio, the heated seats or the SatNav? What's the problem with taking on the challenge of 2,000 miles in 48 hours and using the road book to work it out as you go? In 1990 when I did my first, we drove in a tired 2.5PI from Settle in Yorkshire to Broadfields Garage in North London, set off at 7pm on Friday evening, collected the third co-driver somewhere near Leeds and returned to Broadfields, tired but successful on Sunday before returning to Settle. No SatNav, no mobile phone, no breakdown service. I stilll have the engraved glass tankard, but I don't have the car....

1990 RBRR Broadfields small.jpg

Seems like all the entrants are prepared to do it, otherwise presumably they wouldn’t have entered - but the fuel thing might have, and still might make things a little tricky. It’s not like ‘mettle’ and ‘spirit’ can magic fuel out of an empty forecourt 😂

Anyone with good RBRR history know if an RBRR has previously run through a fuel-related situation like this? Perhaps in the strikes in 70s/80s? @Tim Hunt?

21 minutes ago, Ben Hutchings said:

Seems like all the entrants are prepared to do it, otherwise presumably they wouldn’t have entered - but the fuel thing might have, and still might make things a little tricky. It’s not like ‘mettle’ and ‘spirit’ can magic fuel out of an empty forecourt 😂

Anyone with good RBRR history know if an RBRR has previously run through a fuel-related situation like this? Perhaps in the strikes in 70s/80s? @Tim Hunt?

No, we never ran an event under such circumstances Ben. The second and third Round Britains were run in 1969 and 1971 and the fourth was planned for 1973 but the oil crisis and a REAL fuel shortage resulted in the tempoerary imposition of a blanket 50mph speed limit so the event was postponed. It was eventually run in 1974 (my first) and then every other year until 2018 after which of course Covid put a spanner in the works and the postponement of the 2020 Run returned the Round Britain to an odd year again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mole42 said:

I really didn't want to have to say this, but what is it with you guys? Do you really believe that the chaps who did the first RBRR in 1966 had everything laid on tap? What is worrying you? Might you miss the air-con, or that DAB radio, the heated seats or the SatNav? What's the problem with taking on the challenge of 2,000 miles in 48 hours and using the road book to work it out as you go? In 1990 when I did my first, we drove in a tired 2.5PI from Settle in Yorkshire to Broadfields Garage in North London, set off at 7pm on Friday evening, collected the third co-driver somewhere near Leeds and returned to Broadfields, tired but successful on Sunday before returning to Settle. No SatNav, no mobile phone, no breakdown service. I stilll have the engraved glass tankard, but I don't have the car....

1990 RBRR Broadfields small.jpg

Snap. My first too!

Only difference is i still have the car, even if its in bits and not ready for this one 😞

At the time, its how it was. Didnt really give it a great deal of thought. If you broke down, you had to find a way. And only circa 35 cars on the event, much less chance of help.

Added to which, it was my only car, so bugger all prep was done. It was just another trip.

Edited by roger keys
  • Like 1

I really don’t think petrol is going to be an issue this weekend.

The situation was caused by the media making a story out of nothing that led to panic buying. Unlike toilet rolls, people can’t hoard petrol. Once their cars are full they can’t keep buying fuel.

There are already signs that it’s starting to go back to normal this evening.

The fuel stations on the major roads and rural areas where we are heading have petrol. My wife drove to Exeter and back to Essex at the weekend and didn’t have problems getting fuel.

As others have said it’s part of the challenge of getting your car round. 

Looking forward to it! Roll on Friday 🙂 

• Like 2